PDA

View Full Version : POWERMARTIC 6” Jointer Model 53

jason lambert
08-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I am looking at a POWERMARTIC 6” Jointer Model 53 jointer used for about $350. Is this a good jointer I know it is old but that doens't mean much if it works well. The technology hasn't really changed in these, except for the hericial head correct?

Barry Vabeach
08-05-2009, 9:53 PM
Jason, don't know anything about the 53, I had the 50, and you are right there is not much in the way of technology advances in terms of jointer. The main things that people look for is a motor and beefy castings. I couldn't find anything official, but I did find a website that said the 53 weighed under 200 pounds, in contrast, the Jet weighed about 260 and one other import was about 300. It also said the list price for the Powermatic was $480 in 1992. My guess is the 53 was the import version - if so, the price seems high. You can find Model 50 in that same price range from time to time, it is a very heavy duty machine, though the motor rating may be only a 1/2 hp, the machine should weigh much more than 200 pounds. http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9168

Doug Shepard
08-06-2009, 5:25 AM
I'm not sure what the difference is between the PM53 and my PM54 but I think $350 is is in the right neighborhood. That's what I'm planning to list mine for once my Hammer J/P gets here. Mine's going to include the PM mobile base and a Jointer Pal knife setting jig though.