PDA

View Full Version : Any one use these lights?

Richard Gibson
08-05-2009, 9:39 AM
I am looking at using a hanging utility style light in my shop from Home Depot. It is the Lithonia Diamond Plate reflector light model 1241DP. It uses 2 - T8 40w bulbs. They run about $30 each (no bulbs) and I want to install eight of them in a 20-30 foot shop area.

Has anyone else used these or had any experience with them?

Tom Esh
08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I picked up one on clearance a couple weeks ago. Seems to work fine - no noise or flicker, etc, however the hang points aren't located well if you need to span 16" centers and want a short drop. As a result I had the opportunity to completely disassemble it to make new hang points. I suppose anything in this price range would be similar, but sheesh, if the sheet metal were any thinner you'd have to call it foil. Most of the screw holes had been stripped out during assembly and there was really no way to put it back together without using larger screws. That thin shell also doesn't support the sockets very firmly. I'll live with it for as long as it lasts, but frankly I'll be surprised if it can mechanically withstand the stress of more than a couple bulb changes.

Richard Gibson
08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
That's very good to know Tom. The display is so high that I could not get a good look or feel of them.

David Christopher
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Richard, I got the high output lights 75 watt bulbs at HD and only bought 4 for the same size shop and you can get a suntan in there now...they are a little more expensive but well worth the extra money IMO

Richard Gibson
08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Richard, I got the high output lights 75 watt bulbs at HD and only bought 4 for the same size shop and you can get a suntan in there now...they are a little more expensive but well worth the extra money IMO

I'll take a look at those. Do you have the stock number and/or price? Are they the utility style that hang down from chains?

Scott T Smith
08-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Richard, I have the high outputs in my mechanical shop, and 8' four bulb T8's in my new woodshop.

The HO's use more energy per lumen, and I've been told that in a few years they will be discontinued. The bulbs and ballasts are typically good for 4 - 5 years.

The 4 bulb T8's (uses 4' bulbs) were the best compromise locally between capital cost, operating cost, and light output. The fixtures were about $43.00 each at Lowes / HD (HO's were 50), and I bought the bulbs at a commercial supply house for about $1.20 apiece. The higher K and higher Lumen bulbs really make a difference and are worth the investment.

The HO T-12 fixtures put out a lot of heat beneath the ballasts, and you are not supposed to mount them directly to a ceiling.

George Bregar
08-06-2009, 8:17 AM
Richard, I have the high outputs in my mechanical shop, and 8' four bulb T8's in my new woodshop.

The HO's use more energy per lumen, and I've been told that in a few years they will be discontinued. The bulbs and ballasts are typically good for 4 - 5 years.

The 4 bulb T8's (uses 4' bulbs) were the best compromise locally between capital cost, operating cost, and light output. The fixtures were about $43.00 each at Lowes / HD (HO's were 50), and I bought the bulbs at a commercial supply house for about $1.20 apiece. The higher K and higher Lumen bulbs really make a difference and are worth the investment.

The HO T-12 fixtures put out a lot of heat beneath the ballasts, and you are not supposed to mount them directly to a ceiling. The T8's you describe are now only $38 at HD. I guess the recession has its benefits.

glenn bradley
08-06-2009, 8:28 AM
I'm sure the ones ou are looking at are fine. I use the $17 fixtures from Lowe's but get the 32w T-8 lamps at HD as Lowe's doesn't carry the ones I like in bulk packs. The first batch I got have worked flawlessly for years. Got a dozen more or so several months ago. Inexpensive and reliable.

Matt Ranum
09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I have the 8' T-8's in my shop. A local hardware store was changing them out for new one and I got all I wanted for free. Ended up with 4 extra fixtures, 4 extra ballasts, and 20 extra light tubes(bulbs) tucked away in my shed.

Moral of the story is...get to know store owners or re modelers.:p

Don Bullock
09-07-2009, 9:30 AM
That's very good to know Tom. The display is so high that I could not get a good look or feel of them.

Richard, when they do that I open a box and check an item out before I buy. Yes, I realize this isn't the "best" thing to do, but I've decided that if I am buying something I need to truly know what I'm getting and this seems to be the only way to do it when the display item is out of reach.

John Coloccia
09-07-2009, 9:49 AM
FWIW, I use these in my shop:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=86124-13537-86124&lpage=none

My inspector forced me to use sealed lights and outlets because of the wood dust. They were expensive, but I have to say I don't regret doing it. My lights are always perfectly clear....no dust, no bugs, nothing...just light.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-07-2009, 6:08 PM
Richard...I'm a little bit off of the topic to your original post.

Eight 48" fixtures for a 20'x30' shop seems a bit lean. Especially if your ceiling is not white (like unfinished exposed ceiling joists), things may seem a bit dim.

I have a 17'x27' basement shop (exposed ceiling joists) with twenty 48" T-12 fixtures (80 watts per fixture). The fixtures are the typical hanging shoplight with a reflector. It's not as bright as one may think, but at least there are no shadows. And..your shop is significantly bigger.

One thing to note, all fluorescent bulbs dim with time. In about 2 weeks, I bet your luminosity drops by 25%. I found this true of electronic ballasts and the old fashion magnetic ballasts.

My recommendation is to plan for more fixtures and/or add task lighting at each machine. I would also recommend segregating the fixtures on two wall switches making sure that the work bench area is fully lit by one switch.

Good luck,
-Jeff :)

Randy Bonella
09-08-2009, 12:43 AM
My shop is 14 x 21 and I have 8 dual bulb 4' T-8 $7 fixtures from HD in my shop. I wanted the low profile and smallest fixtures possible. Ballasts lasted only a couple of years and then had to replace with new ones $15 each. Those have lasted a long time. My walls and ceiling are white and that helps immensely. I'll put a couple more in over some future work bench space.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rmbonella/WoodShop?authkey=Gv1sRgCPjg7dzB2LGRfw#537396588020 0953778

http://picasaweb.google.com/rmbonella/WoodShop?authkey=Gv1sRgCPjg7dzB2LGRfw#

If pix can't be viewed go to link and you can see a part of my shop. I put switched outlets in the ceiling so that if needed I can add more lights and or move them around as needed.

Randy...

Don Bullock
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
FWIW, I use these in my shop:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=86124-13537-86124&lpage=none

My inspector forced me to use sealed lights and outlets because of the wood dust. ....

In my area all lights in the garage must be shielded. This is what my electrician went with in my 24 x 20 foot space:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=100988&d=1226675962

They produce plenty of light.