PDA

View Full Version : Table saw maintenance help needed

Matt Day
08-05-2009, 8:57 AM
Hello all,

When I first got my Bridgewood cabinet table saw, I took the top off and did all the tune up things per some FWW articles.

Recently I had a belt break and I found that one of the set screws that holds the motor pulley on had backed out, causing the pulleys to be misalligned which I think resulted in the belt coming apart. I got a new matched set of belts, and I'll make sure to allign the pulleys and tighten down the set screws better this time.

The problem is that I noticed the arbor pulley is tight and wasn't spinning freely. Are these ball bearings? Because I didn't notice any roughness like you'd feel if the ball bearings were squaring, or the races were getting pitted. It just wasn't spinning freely like it was before. I didn't feel any slop that would cause blade wobble or anything.

I know replacing these bearings is a PITA, but is there any adjustment I can make? Suggestions on what to do?

Bob Elliott
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Matt,

Which saw do you have? I bought a Bridgewood 12" cabinet saw in 2004. I haven't had any problems with it since I bought it. All I did was align the miter slot to the blade and aligned the fence to the miter slot.

When you say the arbor pulley is difficult to turn how bad is it? Do you feel/measure any play both radially and planar? Do you have a dial indicator?

Did you try spinning the arbor with the belts off when it was new?

Like I said I haven't had a problem with my Bridgewood. I will subscribe to this thread to see if any others chime in. I will say that I started getting nervous when I heard that they aren't importing these saws any more. I hope parts are availible in the future, althought hings like bearings should be direct replacement.

Bob

Matt Day
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
It's a 10" bridgewood, right tilt. When I did the tune up, the arbor pulley spun nicely if I remember correctly. Possibly the side load from the misalligned belts did something to the pulley? Is there any adjustment in there, or lubrication I could try?

I do have a dial indicator, and I didn't feel any play in the pulley. I have all the pulleys completely off.

Bob Elliott
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I almost sounds like you did something to the bearing like galled the race but I can't see a misaligned belt putting that much load on the bearings. Then again if the bearings were damaged you should see out of spec runout. Strange

If it is that tight the next thing I would do is take it apart and find out if the bearings are damaged or the source of the tight arbor. If it was me I woudl replace them while I was in it that far. Even if the problem isn't the bearings chances are you'll figure out what is wrong during disassembly.

You should be able to find a number on the bearings if you cose to replace them. Your local auto parts tsore shoudl be able to get them or you can find them at McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/

Matt Day
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks Bob. I've worked with cartridge bearings and loose ball bearings a lot as a bicycle mechanic, so I'm pretty familiar with wear and tear. I'll take a look more tonight when I get home.

Chip Lindley
08-05-2009, 1:00 PM
Matt, check to see that the arbor pulley is not binding against something! See if sawdust is packed behind the pulley, or inside the arbor casting. Sawdust can wick grease or oil and become hard and gunky over time!

There is no adjustment for arbor bearings on most TS's, except for proper assembly in the beginning. The entire assembly of spacers, retainer rings and retainer nuts must all tightened adequately, but not *over-tightened*!

You may be able to partially disassemble your arbor without actually pulling the bearings off the shaft. See if the bearings turn smoothly and freely on the arbor shaft. IF you do not feel silky-smooth movement, and there is any resistance or roughness, time for a bearing job! (You've come this far, install new bearings anyway!)

Improper insertion of bearings can press the inner or outer race against the balls, causing binding and premature wear. Everything must be *right-on* for bearings to perform properly. Bear only against the inner race when pressing bearings onto a shaft. Bear only against the outer race when inserting into the recess of a casting.

Bruce Wrenn
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Without the pulley on the arbor, how does arbor turn? Could be pulley is binding against something, instead of bad bearings. If it's the bearings, my money says they are most likely 6203's.

Matt Day
08-06-2009, 8:00 AM
Last night I went into the shop to try to figure this out. The top is still on (I dread taking it off and realligning everything) so I am working through the throat plate. I got a wire brush in there and tried to clean it up a bit, and I don't think that really did anything but miraculously the pulley starting turning free and smooth! I wonder if there was a piece of rubber belt in there from my recent broken one, or just some rubber shavings/dust that clogged it up temporarily? Either way, I think I'm good to go now!