PDA

View Full Version : A smiple Laser Hollowing Arm

Mark Hubl
08-04-2009, 9:50 PM
Here are some pics of a simple laser arm I made for small hollowing tools. It works ok and is definitely helping me with my learning.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Mark - looks pretty cool and if it is helping you to learn hollow forms - what more could you ask for? My only concern - always make sure that your hollowing tool is held flat and not rotated as that would cause the laser to mark a different area of the wood from where your cutter is actually located. No big deal - just something to be aware of! Have fun with it!

Mark Hubl
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Yep. I would have to agree. The angle of the laser is something to pay critical attention to. I use this more as a measuring device than an on all the time guide. The more I use it the less it is on. Actually for most of the time I use it the lathe is actually not spinning. I hope that is because I am getting a little better.:D But just when you think that a hole appears where it shouldn't.:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I made handles for a couple of turning tools. David Ellsworth said to lay the tool flat with the bit in the cutting postion. He said put a black line at the ferrell on the top and then a red line on either side. He said you will always know then where your cutting tip is. If you look down and either red line is in the up position or close you need to reposition your tool. Hope that makes sense because it has helped me a lot.

Mark Hubl
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I absolutely get it. Have read David's book cover to cover. Ordered a bunch of steel to make my own tools. But anyway, I use the logo's on my tool handles as a gauge. A mark on the tools steel would be much more accurate. This is especially the case since on a couple of my tools the vibration has caused the steel to walk in the wood handle. I have moisturized the handles and used some thin CA to hold them in place. This seems to be working. But I would have to say being aware of which part of the tip is cutting really is important. To get a feel for this I recommend cutting some bowl forms with the hollowing tools. Limit your movement, as if there is a small top hole and watch what the tool does. It may sound crazy, but turn off the dust control and listen to the tool also. The sound will help you know what the tool is doing.

Richard Madison
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Good advice Bernie. Have a couple home mades with black marker lines along the top centerlines.