PDA

View Full Version : Finishing cypress

Larry Frank
08-04-2009, 8:59 PM
I am making some chairs out of cypress and need some advice on finishing or sealing or staining. I have gone back and searched for this subject and there are various suggestions but it seems that most people run into a problem with the finish drying. Does someone have a suggestion that has actually worked? I could just not finish the cypress and let it go to a dull gray but that does not sound very good.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Neal Clayton
08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
it won't absorb as much as other woods, the wood is pretty resistant to penetration from any type of fluid.

these will be outside i assume?

it will be fine for years actually unfinished, as long as it doesn't get sunlight exposure. under daily sunlight it'll probably last about a decade before it decays to the point of being unusable.

if it will be outside, i just use a deck stain in lieu of paint. always oil based, not water, personally i use the sherwin williams deckscape stuff but any deck stain will do.

Nate Carey
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Larry, cypress is one of my favorite "outdoor" woods. I've used it in my boat building for 44 years...I've also built Adirondack chairs, picnic tables, window boxes, architectural trim, doors, sash, and I'm sure other things for exterior use. I've always finished cypress with paint...sometimes very high quality marine products and sometimes ordinary house paint. Always paints up fine; I haven't experienced any drying issue.