PDA

View Full Version : Getting spamed through Craigslist

David G Baker
08-04-2009, 5:50 PM
I listed an item for sale on Craigslist 2 days ago and I have received 4 different offers, but not on the item I was selling. I did not post my E-mail address, the people are using the Craigslist contact path.
I have had offers for financial help, great investment ideas, help with my relationships and ideas as to where I can relocate. I have listed several items for sale over the past year and have never been spammed. Anyone else had this problem?

Steve knight
08-04-2009, 6:41 PM
yes. even when I am posting my service. I take it your not actually putting your real email address on your ads are you?
it gets really bad when when you post a computer or a iphone or such.

Jim Becker
08-04-2009, 9:56 PM
Did you check off the "Do not contact me" option?

That said, remove the ad and repost it and see what happens.

Eric Larsen
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I listed an item for sale on Craigslist 2 days ago and I have received 4 different offers, but not on the item I was selling. I did not post my E-mail address, the people are using the Craigslist contact path.
I have had offers for financial help, great investment ideas, help with my relationships and ideas as to where I can relocate. I have listed several items for sale over the past year and have never been spammed. Anyone else had this problem?

You're in the minority if you've never had a scam solicitation when advertising on craigslist.

Create a gmail or hotmail account and use that for craigslist. That way, your "real" address is safe from Advance Fee Fraud attempts, etc.

David G Baker
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I never post my e-mail address, the spammers are going through Craigslist response method.
Jim B.
Not sure on how to respond on the "do not contact me' option, I will have to take a look at how the options are set up on Craigslist. I plan on reposting the add to keep it up dated. I checked my add and the do not contact is on the add.
Thanks guys.

Chris Damm
08-05-2009, 8:50 AM
Get used to it. It's part of the electronic world. Just delete them.

David G Baker
08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Chris,
Yea I know. I wish I was able to reverse the gifts and do on to them.

Eric Larsen
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I never post my e-mail address, the spammers are going through Craigslist response method.
Jim B.
Not sure on how to respond on the "do not contact me' option, I will have to take a look at how the options are set up on Craigslist. I plan on reposting the add to keep it up dated. I checked my add and the do not contact is on the add.
Thanks guys.

When you post an ad, there's a check-box that says, "Do Not Contact Me with other offers"

I'd STILL use a seperate Craigslist e-mail account. You may not be posting your real address on CL, but if 1,000 scammers decide to click on your ad, you're still going to have 1,000 junk emails in your primary account.

It's not like it takes much time or any money to set up another e-mail address.

Brent Leonard
08-05-2009, 3:47 PM
I've had plenty of SCAMMERS,

but

never a SPAMMER.
Not sure if the "do not contact with other offers" box does anything, but I've never been solicited/spammed through the c-list system.

Eric Larsen
08-05-2009, 5:48 PM
I've had plenty of SCAMMERS,

but

never a SPAMMER.
Not sure if the "do not contact with other offers" box does anything, but I've never been solicited/spammed through the c-list system.

Probably a better class of people in Topeka than here in Vegas. When I list a tool or an electronic device for sale, I get about 50 emails per day. One or two is legit -- the rest is spam/scam.