PDA

View Full Version : Motor replacement for Jointer

Matt Benton
08-04-2009, 5:39 PM
Does anyone know of a reason that I couldn't use a 5 HP air compressor motor to power a 16" jointer? It would be belt-driven. It isn't TEFC, but shouldn't be exposed to much dust...

Thanks!

David Christopher
08-04-2009, 6:13 PM
I see no problem if it will bolt up

Chip Lindley
08-04-2009, 7:12 PM
No reason at all Matt! Any continuous-duty motor of the same RPM and HP range can be used for your jointer. (if you are replacing a 3-phase)
Same diameter shaft would be nice, but a new pulley, or bushing, can solve that. The motor base, of course, must be made to fit the jointer. Last consideration is a magnetic or manual starter (and overloads) rated for your new 5hp. Old machinery never had TEFC motors; All open drip-proof. Enjoy your HUGE jointer!

Matt Meiser
08-04-2009, 8:11 PM
I'll add that you should check the rotation. Some aren't reversible. Be a bummer if your cutterhead spun backwards. :)

Peter Quinn
08-04-2009, 8:59 PM
I'll add that you should check the rotation. Some aren't reversible. Be a bummer if your cutterhead spun backwards. :)

Boy, that would be a long day. At work we got a new 3PH jointer this winter and when the electrician first wired it he had the head spinning backwards. We had to ask him to reverse that. Its really tough to feed everything from the out feed side!:D

Matt Benton
08-04-2009, 9:06 PM
I'm actually building one, so I'm trying to plan ahead wherever I can.

Chip, good point about the starter, I haven't quite figured that one out yet!

Dick Strauss
08-05-2009, 1:34 AM
Matt,
A lot of air compressor motors are not rated for continuos duty. Check before you make the switch...

Howard Acheson
08-08-2009, 4:46 PM
Matt,
A lot of air compressor motors are not rated for continuos duty. Check before you make the switch...

And, a lot are not really 5 HP. Check the amperage and see if it relates to what is expected on a 5 HP motor.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Boy, that would be a long day. At work we got a new 3PH jointer this winter and when the electrician first wired it he had the head spinning backwards. We had to ask him to reverse that. Its really tough to feed everything from the out feed side!:D

Peter, you might be suprised to know how easy it is to switch direction on a 3 phase motor...;)