PDA

View Full Version : Water based lacquer over Waterlox?

doug faist
08-04-2009, 4:13 PM
I'm currently building a set of night stands and the Waterlox looks great on walnut, but I need a bit more protection than it can provide.

I really like both water based lacquer (usually the General Finishes product) and Waterlox finishes, but I've never tried them together. Anyone do it or know of any issues that would preclude using them together?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

John Harden
08-04-2009, 4:31 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but are you sure about needing more protection than what Waterlox provides? I mean, its used on wooden floors all the time, builds up nicely is water resistant and easily repairable. I use it on my workbench and just finished my son's baseball bat with it.

What is it you're trying to protect against that it won't do?

BTW, the answer to most any question of "will it go over/under this" is to clean it thoroughly and put on a coat of dewaxed shellac. Shellac is just about a universal bonding agent. Sticks to anything and anything sticks to it. There are some exceptions of course.

Regards,

John

Peter Quinn
08-04-2009, 9:06 PM
I agree with John that waterlox is pretty tough stuff IME, not sure a top coat of lacquer is going to improve the situation much. I have found that waterlox off gasses for a long time and takes at least 1 month to cure fully, so I worry about spraying lacquer over it in the mean time. So no, I have never tried it, but I would try a sample board and proceed with caution if no certain professional answer can be had. Have you tried calling the General Finishes tech line to ask them or emailing them?

Prashun Patel
08-04-2009, 9:08 PM
I think Waterlox varnish is going to be stronger than a waterbased lacquer anyway.

Neal Clayton
08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
another thing doug, is the satin or the gloss will be tougher than the original sealer. not sure which you plan on using.

Howard Acheson
08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Waterlox Original is much more protective than any waterborne finish. It is more water and watervapor resistant, more abrasion resistant and much more resistant to cleaning chemicals.

To over coat with a waterborne acrylic finish is actually a downgrade in performance.

Scott Holmes
08-05-2009, 6:11 PM
Water-based lacquer is a MARKETING term. It is water-borne acrylic period.

Water-based products are MADE from water... beer, soda, lemonade. NOT varnish and not lacquer.

Water-borne (dispersed) are thinned with water.

BIG difference.

I'll put Waterlox Original up against any water-borne. Bring on the Windex!