Should be .......... Rant

I am paying bills:

My PA electric .1590 per kw

My NJ electric .1892 per kw

The PA is due to go off rate caps in a little over a year -- some say up 20%

It is unreal

Stephen Musial
08-04-2009, 3:13 PM
Here in St. Louis it's .0863 June through September and .0612 first 750 kWh and .0412 after 750 for the rest of the year. We're an all electric house and with budget billing, we pay 142.00 a month all year long.

I guess that didn't help your blood pressure too much did it?

Dennis Thornton
08-04-2009, 3:24 PM
This'll help even less - About 8 years ago we decided to install solar panels. The state had a good rebate program that (along with a fed tax deal) cut the cost in half.

So for the cost of a cheap new car ($20K) we got a 4.5kw system. Last year my electric bill was a little under $240. We're doing a remodel later this year that will improve the energy efficiency in a large portion of the house significantly. After that we'll be net negative on our use and we'll be down to the hook up charge ($60/year - included in the number above).

1800 sqft w/AC & HT in sunny bay area, CA.

Dave Johnson29
08-04-2009, 5:10 PM
Sorry to add to the stress, but last month's bill was $0.092/KWh and we had a price hike kick in a few months back.

This is an all electric house with AC and baseboard heating.

Joe Pelonio
08-04-2009, 8:50 PM
Wow, in seattle it's .0551/KWH and here at the house we pay .084772/KWH and thought that was a lot!

Rick Moyer
08-04-2009, 9:06 PM
I'm in PA (100+ miles NW of you) and I just checked my last bill.
1449 KWH, $146.58. That's .10116 per KWH. Are you sure you have it right? Maybe we have different utility charges, e.g., (distribution/transmission/generation)?

Jeffrey Makiel
08-04-2009, 9:43 PM
New Jersey is bleeding everybody dry. Welcome to deregulation.

-Jeff :)

Tom Godley
08-04-2009, 9:50 PM
Unfortunately, I have it correct.

PECO in PA and PSE&G in NJ

About 5 years ago I looked into the solar program that PSE&G still has available. The payback at that time was longer than the effective life of the system. I do not remember if it was 70k or 90k to have it installed with rebates taking care of all but 30k or a little more.

The higher costs in NJ are because it must be installed by union electricians or those paying union wages -- this adds quite a lot to the system.

I used 1930 kw = $365.00 in NJ
It has been a cool summer -- Last July I used 2540!

Ron Jones near Indy
08-04-2009, 10:07 PM
We get ours from a cooperative. Rate structure is below. Draw your own conclusions. We were without power for 7 hours today--storms hit a substation. The tv news just indicated that about 40,000 homes are still without power in central Indiana. Looks like we were lucky here.

Single-Phase General Service for residential, farm, commercial and public buildings

Monthly rate

Consumer charge:
$24.17

Energy charge:
$.050 / kwh

Availability
Available to any member of the organization located on its lines for rural, residential, farm, commercial and public buildings. This rate schedule will serve single-phase member/consumers.

Type of service
Alternating current, 60-cycle, single phase, 120/240 volts or other industry standard voltages mutually agreeable to the member consumer and the corporation.

Minimum monthly charge
The minimum monthly charge shall be the following:

1. The consumer charge, and
2. A charge of $1.00 per kva of the member consumer’s required transformer capacity for all over 15 kva.

All bills are subject to Wholesale Power Tracker. See rates page for explanation.

Leo Graywacz
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
You don't even know what I pay. My raw KW rate is about 12¢/KW. But then there is the sevice charge, the delivery charge, the transmission charge, the demand charge, this fee that fee and then tax.

I pay about $180-$225 month

Eric Larsen
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Should be .......... Rant

I am paying bills:

My PA electric .1590 per kw

My NJ electric .1892 per kw

.0803 here, but I get a break because I don't use much juice between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. from June through September. Otherwise it would be .108

Dave Johnson29
08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
don't even know what I pay.

Leo, somewhere on the bill it should show the total KWh use for the month. Take the bill total and divide it by that number and that will give you an all-in cost per KWh including all the Taxes and add ons.

Scott Donley
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
The higher costs in NJ are because it must be installed by union electricians or those paying union wages -- this adds quite a lot to the system.

PSE&G added cost might have more to do with the added cost of their clean air plan and the billions they are spending to install things like scrubbers on their coal plants and building new NG plants. Might not be union wages, IF they are using union labor. Here in the PNW we use almost all hydro power so we don't have those problems.

Michael O'Sullivan
08-05-2009, 6:03 PM
My bill in NY from ConEd breaks it in two. there is a $.10/KwH charge for supply and $.09 (or so) for delivery, plus a bunch of add ons.

Leo Graywacz
08-05-2009, 6:09 PM
Leo, somewhere on the bill it should show the total KWh use for the month. Take the bill total and divide it by that number and that will give you an all-in cost per KWh including all the Taxes and add ons.

What I mean to say is I don't pay the bill therefor I don't know how many KHh/dollar I pay. I know that my average is around $190, but I don't know what my average KWh usage is. So I can't calculate true cost per KW

Jim Finn
08-05-2009, 7:53 PM
8.7 cents per k here in west texas

Dan Friedrichs
08-05-2009, 8:01 PM
Someone go find a Hawaiian, then the OP won't feel so bad :) Although when you consider that most of Hawaii's electricity is produced by tanking diesel to the island and burning it, you'd think it would cost a LOT more than anywhere CONUS...

Tom Godley
08-05-2009, 10:14 PM
The higher costs I am speaking of is the cost that the homeowner must pay for the solar installation -- Not the utilities labor costs.

We actually have a large part of our power provided by Nuclear and NG -- although Coal is certainly a large part of the mix.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-06-2009, 7:46 AM
While the New Jersey residential rate is hitting 19 cents per KWHr, the New Jersey commercial rate hit a low of 8 cents per KWHr. Go figure.

It's time for another roundup by the State Attorney General's office. After all, it's been almost 3 weeks since the last one.

-Jeff :)

Dennis Thornton
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
The higher costs I am speaking of is the cost that the homeowner must pay for the solar installation -- Not the utilities labor costs.

We actually have a large part of our power provided by Nuclear and NG -- although Coal is certainly a large part of the mix.

Fortunately here in CA solar systems do not have to be installed by licensed electricians. The building codes are quite particular on how they're installed and connected but don't require an electrician to do the work.

There was a recent attempt to change this on a statewide basis but fortunately it failed.

Jim Becker
08-06-2009, 9:03 PM
I pay about $180-$225 month

'Wish mine was that low!! :D

Leo Graywacz
08-06-2009, 10:44 PM
'Wish mine was that low!! :D

What do you have to pay and what are you running. I am running a one man shop, usually 10-12 hours a day when I am busy, which I haven't been lately. All machines are 3HP, 2 1/2 HP DC. About 1000 watts worth of light.

Bonnie Campbell
08-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Not exactly sure what my kwh rate is (only remember when I look at the bill). But I've had to cut back drastically on all bills. So I was quite pleased to see I only had a $136 bill last month. Looking at last years usage I've cut it back at least 75%. Hubby had to have the AC running, where I just run it if the indoor dogs are looking to hot. We had been paying on 'budgeted' billing. So I still have paid more than what I've used, but I'm sitting now with a $900 credit.

Jim Becker
08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
What do you have to pay and what are you running. I am running a one man shop, usually 10-12 hours a day when I am busy, which I haven't been lately. All machines are 3HP, 2 1/2 HP DC. About 1000 watts worth of light.

Shop doesn't really figure into it outside of some heat cost in the winter, especially since I don't get much time in there. My household electric, excluding A/C, runs and average of $250-275 per month. Nature of the beast. My most recent bill (no A/C since we were lucky with weather nearly all the way through July) was $284 for 1663 kWh, making that about 17 cents per kWh for generation, transmission, distribution and transition charges combined. I pay $7.62 a month in that for 300 kWh Wind energy.

Frank Guerin
08-09-2009, 6:48 PM
14.6 and in S Texas. The air conditioner runs a lot. Perhaps between pan handling and selling blood and picking up cans I make it untill winter when it may get down in the 80.s.

Jamie Buxton
08-09-2009, 11:15 PM
I pay 11 cents per kw-hr at home, and 45 cents per kw-hr at the shop. Same utility company, but one is a residential rate and the other is commercial.