PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Mirror for Epilog

Jason Lippert
08-04-2009, 2:22 PM
I know there are alternative suppliers for lenses out there, but are the any for mirrors? I think the mirror just above the lens has just about had it. It just does not clean up perfect any more. Also if anyone knows a ballpark cost for one of these that would be helpful, seeing as I'm going to have to do some convincing to get some extra budget sent my way.

Peck Sidara
08-04-2009, 4:44 PM
Jason,

Ballpark price for a repalcement EXT mirror is $45.24 plus shipping. Not bad considering this includes the bracket which is glued to the mirror from the factory.

Give tech support a call at 303.215.9171 for ordering.

Dave Johnson29
08-04-2009, 5:03 PM
I know there are alternative suppliers for lenses out there, but are the any for mirrors?

I have been using http://www.laserresearch.net/ for many years and their prices and quality is very good. But at peck's 45-bucks with the bracket I really don't think you will find better than that.

Joe Pelonio
08-04-2009, 8:51 PM
I have bought them from Epilog, not worth the risk of trying something else.

onur cakir
08-05-2009, 4:05 AM
I'm sure it's been issued before but;

Is this theory right ?

-1.5" cuts better and 4.0" engraves faster-

do you think its practical to have both set and replace per job ?

Chris J Drew
08-05-2009, 6:53 AM
Onur, perhaps this subject belongs in a thread of it's own...
It's not quite as straightforward as "-1.5" cuts better and 4.0" engraves faster-"

1.5" lens gives a smaller spot-size , so will cut thinner materials with less "kerf" and will engrave "finer" detail @ high resolution.
But you will notice the edge of thicker materials will have a less straight/perpendicular cut, due to the shorter depth-of-field.
The spot itself will be slightly hotter as the laser energy is concentrated over a smaller area so you may cut a little faster, but not much...
So generally speaking a shorter focal length is better for fine detail engraving at high dpi & for thinner cuts but isn't so good for thicker materials.

4" lens has a larger spot-size so may engrave faster at lower resolutions due to the spot-size being bigger, you'll get more "dot overlap". However the burn may be a little cooler also due to the laser energy being spread over a slightly larger area & you'll lose fine detail.
Because of the greater depth of field you'll see a straighter cut when you look edge-on at the workpiece.
For this reason a longer focal-length lens is preferred for cutting thicker materials when nice square edges are required.

A regular "standard" 2" lens is basically a "happy medium" and will do the job admirably unless you have special requirements.

Hope this info helps!

onur cakir
08-05-2009, 7:01 AM
Thanks Chris !

I think i'm going to continue with happy medium size :)

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 8:08 AM
Onur,,,,,,I don't think Epilog makes a 4" lens for our machine either.

Chris J Drew
08-05-2009, 8:34 AM
Yeah, you can get a 4" lens for a Mini/Helix... looks the same but has a long focus tool.
The 1.5" lens fits via a 1/2" step-down block & so uses a regular focus tool or autofocus.

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 8:58 AM
Yeah, you can get a 4" lens for a Mini/Helix... looks the same but has a long focus tool.
The 1.5" lens fits via a 1/2" step-down block & so uses a regular focus tool or autofocus.

I seem to recall asking my Epilog rep about the 4" lens and he said that they didn't make one for the Mini.....is the 4" lens you're talking about something you can get through Epilog? I have the 1.5" lens (Haha Frank! :~ )

Jack Harper
08-05-2009, 9:07 AM
A 4" lens will be quite a bit cooler than a 1.5". This often removes any speed advantage to a larger dot size/lower resolution. I use 1.5", 2" and 4" depending on my needs. In addition to the the 4" giving you a straighter cut, it also will raster over uneven surfaces better due to its increased focal range. A good example would be lasering cloth like denim. It is always difficult to get it to lay completely flat but with a 4" lens it will forgive a lot of surface variation.

Chris J Drew
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
In addition to the the 4" giving you a straighter cut, it also will raster over uneven surfaces better due to its increased focal range. A good example would be lasering cloth like denim. It is always difficult to get it to lay completely flat but with a 4" lens it will forgive a lot of surface variation.

Good point.
Also, if you're engraving on objects that would foul the focusplunger & air-assist-pipe, like a bowl with a tall rim, the 4" lens gives you that clearance.

The 4" lens to fit the Mini/Helix is available from Epilog... I have one here, the number on the box is LPZ750-4.0-6528NR. This one has the long focus-tool included.

Jeanette Brewer
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I seem to recall asking my Epilog rep about the 4" lens and he said that they didn't make one for the Mini.....is the 4" lens you're talking about something you can get through Epilog?

Steve,

I don't remember the exact time frame but the 4" lens wasn't always available for the Mini so it's highly probable that your rep was correct when he said it wasn't; it is available now. Price tag: $300

Garrett Nors
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I feel completely out of the loop, I've had this engraver for going on 4 years now and I have no idea about lens options! I have used the same stock lens for every job I've ever done. :confused:

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Steve,

I don't remember the exact time frame but the 4" lens wasn't always available for the Mini so it's highly probable that your rep was correct when he said it wasn't; it is available now. Price tag: $300

Well, THAT'S good news!

Peck Sidara
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I feel completely out of the loop, I've had this engraver for going on 4 years now and I have no idea about lens options! I have used the same stock lens for every job I've ever done. :confused:

Garrett,

Don't feel bad. The 2" stock lens is good for just about any job; raster/vector/combined at all different DPI settings. Only for specific applications should you/would you need an optional lens.

We started offering the 4" lens a few months back. The 4" is a complete assembly with manual focus gauge. When in use, auto-focus should not be selected, air-assist can be used but won't reach the material because the material is now about 4" away, 2" away from air nozzle. The 4" is offered for specific applications such as engraving on the inside of a bowl (as Chris had mentioned).

The 1.5" lens offers full use of both air-assist and auto-focus.

HTH,

Garrett Nors
08-05-2009, 1:43 PM
I have had more than one occasion where that extra 2" would have allowed me to do the job...I'll look into it. This is such a great site :D

Jason Lippert
08-06-2009, 2:47 PM
Thanks Peck,
I can always get great help from you! It's good to know this an inexpensive piece.:)

Martin Reynolds
08-08-2009, 1:45 PM
I've been using a 2.5" lens on my Explorer. The extra 1/2" takes my cut plane closer to the level of the exhaust vent, and also keeps the lens away from smoke. We cut a lot of PETG, which is somewhat messy.

John Noell
08-08-2009, 3:37 PM
Well, THAT'S good news!
It would be even better news if the Mini had more depth. :)

Chris J Drew
08-10-2009, 4:17 AM
Hey Martin, try dropping the frequency way down, PETG cuts much cleaner, you'd be surprised just how low you can go & still get your cut.
Lower frequency/ppi means less heat buildup.