PDA

View Full Version : Pen swaps..................

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2009, 2:21 PM
Folks,

I am really stumped how to handle this.

A number of turners got involved in a pen swap. Some turners joined the Creek just to get involved in the pen swap.

Now most folks got their pens and sent their pens and a majority of those folks are just elated.

There were, however, some folks who received pens and for one reason or another, failed to send one to their swap partners.....or at least, are being accused of it.

Some of those who have been accused of failing to send out a pen are some pretty high profile folks here and at other websites.

Typically we try to handle these type of things through PMs and emails to keep from unnecessarily publically embarrassing someone.

Tom Henry started a thread to bring it to public knowledge what the accusations were. I pulled the thread and moved it to the Moderator's Forum. Other Moderators felt that it was unwise to allow the thread be placed back into public view.

I can tell you this. I will be trying to contact the persons who have been accused of stiffing other recipiants and getting the situation remedied.

I will also talk with Keith and other Mods. The failure to complete the swaps in this pen swap could jeopardize any future swaps from happening here at the Creek.

I am not accusing anyone of purposely stiffing someone. I am asking everyone to scratch their heads and try to remember if you did turn and send out a pen to your swap partner as agreed. I know I forget more everyday.

Mike Minto
08-04-2009, 2:59 PM
while i can see it would be pretty chintzy for a person to not do their share and send a pen to the person who sent them one, i hope no one is getting their blood pressure up about it. how big a deal can it be? having said that, i see no problem with putting the welcher's name in print here on the creek, and ban them from future pen swaps - if the 'accusation' can be reliably proven. mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2009, 3:38 PM
Mike,

Here's the problem with that.....

You were supposed to send me a pen in that swap and didn't........:rolleyes:

Now I didn't even enter the pen swap.....How can you prove your innocence?:confused:

The point is that there is no way to prove someone didn't receive a pen or that someone didn't send a pen. Who's at fault here?

I won't be putting anything public.

Mike Minto
08-04-2009, 4:20 PM
ken, you echoed what i said - 'if it can be reliably proven'...and i'm with you, don't know how one could at this point. maybe next time with some sort of pre-swap posting of partners? certified mail/signature required/insured no p.o. box delivery? (just joking there at the last :p). mike

David Walser
08-04-2009, 5:12 PM
Ken,

Thank you, and the rest of the moderators, for all you do for this forum. The task you've just taken on must be distasteful in the extreme. I just want you to know that we appreciate it.

To answer the question: What's the big deal? In dollar terms, not much. In terms of trust and respect, it can be a very big deal. One of the things that makes this community so great is the trust and respect (virtually) everyone has for each other. Renigging on a promise to exchange a pen can leave a sour taste in another forum member's mouth. It's bound to reduce the level of trust and respect; as such, it's an attack at the heart of what makes Sawmill Creek so special to so many of us.

Note: I owe someone here a pen. The debt is NOT part of the pen exchange, but is a debt of honor arising out of another turner having sent me some very nice pen blanks. After the blanks arrived, I asked if I could pay him and he suggested I just send him a pen. Once it cools off here in Arizona enough for me to get back into the shop, I'll pay that debt. I mention this just so that other turner knows I've not forgotten.

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2009, 6:25 PM
Ken, If the person who did not recieve their pen, has the PM that stated who they were to trade the pen with, it would be easy to prove the pairing of each turner and who was not holding up the end of thier bargain. If any of the people who did not get a pen I will turn some myself and make sure they get one from someone who cares about honor and pride!

To all the shafters: If you forgot or lost your way and there is proof that you promised a pen, take your medicine and do the right thing. Eating a little crow and making things right goes a long way and should make you feel better too!

Just being honest,

Jeff

Mike Svoma
08-04-2009, 8:27 PM
BRAVO, Jeff.

Gary Herrmann
08-04-2009, 8:36 PM
We're all really busy, it would be easy to forget. This is the first swap I was in and feel bad that David sent me blanks and a very nice box containing the pen and all I sent him was the pen.

I would doubt that anyone would intentionally stiff someone. We all know how much this stuff costs. Maybe they were embarrassed that their pen wouldn't measure up?

I think Tom's original thread lined people up, and as Jeff said - folks would have their PMs - hopefully.

C'mon guys, invest an hour and a few bucks and fulfill your part of the bargain. If you don't after being reminded (and you don't have a reasonable excuse) and your name gets posted, I don't care who you are - what you've not done, is just weak.

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2009, 9:15 PM
we're all really busy, it would be easy to forget. This is the first swap i was in and feel bad that david sent me blanks and a very nice box containing the pen and all i sent him was the pen.

I would doubt that anyone would intentionally stiff someone. We all know how much this stuff costs. Maybe they were embarrassed that their pen wouldn't measure up?

I think tom's original thread lined people up, and as jeff said - folks would have their pms - hopefully.

C'mon guys, invest an hour and a few bucks and fulfill your part of the bargain. If you don't after being reminded (and you don't have a reasonable excuse) and your name gets posted, i don't care who you are - what you've not done, is just weak.
we all agree! nuff said!

Jon Lanier
08-05-2009, 4:40 AM
I don't think I joined the swap this year. Trying to avoid swaps because of our personal situation (lifes been a mess). I didn't receive a pen so I assume I didn't join in. But if I did, and didn't send a pen. I'd want to know immediately. I can fix that with out much of a problem.

Thanks Ken for keeping on top of things.

Steve Trauthwein
08-05-2009, 7:19 AM
How many people got stiffed? I wil join Jeff in sending a pen, though I was not in the swap.

Regards, Steve

David Drickhamer
08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd be happy to turn a few for people that didn't get theirs. Just let me know what you need.
I was in the swap for two and got two beautiful pens I could not be happier with.
Thanks again Chris and Gary. I can only hope you like yours as well as I like mine.
Dave

ron hossack
08-05-2009, 2:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I wasn't involved with the swap here, but it wouldn't be the first time I forgot ...

Does someone have the list? If I'm on it let me know.

If I'm not on it let me know who needs a pen and I'll be happy to send one of my meager offerings to them.

Rob Young
08-05-2009, 5:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I wasn't involved with the swap here, but it wouldn't be the first time I forgot ...

Does someone have the list? If I'm on it let me know.

If I'm not on it let me know who needs a pen and I'll be happy to send one of my meager offerings to them.

Check the list in this thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1101436&highlight=exchange&page=3

Daniel Heine
08-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Guilty as charged. I am very embarassed to say that I forgot about this completely. If you could tell me who my partner was, I will be quick to remedy this situation.

Dan Heine

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
You should be embarrassed Daniel...You weren't even in the pen swap....Thanks for trying to be a nice guy, though!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Folks,

I'm going to let this ride for 2 more days. Then I will start sending PMs and we'll see what happens.

ron hossack
08-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Check the list in this thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1101436&highlight=exchange&page=3
OK ... didn't find my name ...

I'm still willing to send a pen if someone can take the bull by the horns and maybe assign me someone who was forgotten.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Folks,

I appreciate all the generous offers.

Let's see if I can get the original swappers to come through. Let's give them a chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if one or more of them forgot to finish the bargain ....or maybe there was some personal issues involved...health...death in the family...etc.

Let's leave this here until the weekend at which time, I will try to contact the original swap partners.

If that doesn't work out, we'll have a drawing and let some of you generous volunteers fulfill the bargain for someone else.

Thanks again!

Tom Henry
08-06-2009, 9:18 AM
Ken-

Thanks for the thread! If you need anymore info to help remedy the situation please let me know.

Thanks
Tom

Billy Tallant
08-07-2009, 1:14 AM
Ken,

This was my 1st swap. I was happily surprised when I received my pen & a box full of blanks. I would be glad to help out & make someone a pen if needed. Just let me know.

Mark P. Brown
08-11-2009, 8:31 PM
I sent and recieved pens in the swap but if more pens are needed send me the info I will gladly help out.
Mark

michael gallagher
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Guys-

I make a heck of a lot of pens just for my own stress relief - I don't sell them, but give them away. Right now, I have a mug full of pens - if someone was shafted, I will be more than happy to send folks some to an address here in the USA or out of the country (which will make me want to go turn some more).

Maybe one of these days I'll try one of those bowl thingys...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Folks,

I appreciate everyone's generosity.

Let's let the system try to work.

If I don't hear something in the next couple of days, I'll hold a drawing to see who gets the enjoyment of sending a two guys some pens.

Let's give the original pen swappers a chance.

Thanks!

Kirk Miller
08-12-2009, 3:07 AM
Although my interactions with "The Creekers" has been limited, I am suprised that this could happen. I have been very impressed with everyone. I personally wanted to be involved with the pen exchange but I know I am stretched to thin as it is. I want to be able to take the time to make something nice to impress my fellow "Creekers". Don't screw this up for the rest of us. You slackers out there get your pens out to your deserving exchange partners

Harvey M. Taylor
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Ken, I noticed my name on the list of participants. I didnt receive the name of a 'partner', nor a pen. Glad to participate when I receive instructions. great idea, and lets not let this idea die on the vine. If it comes up again, I will participate.Max.

Tom Henry
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Ken, I noticed my name on the list of participants. I didnt receive the name of a 'partner', nor a pen. Glad to participate when I receive instructions. great idea, and lets not let this idea die on the vine. If it comes up again, I will participate.Max.

Harvey-

The list was posted in the pen swap thread.

Grant Davis <----->Harvey M. Taylor

Thanks
Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Max,

Usually, when swaps go down, the participants exchange PMs with address information.

Folks I'm going to lock this thread as it is really getting off the topic of what to do when someone doesn't participate in a swap.

I have sent PMs to the individuals involved. If I don't hear from then in a couple more days, I'll hold a drawing to see who gets to send pens to the two individuals who sent pens but didn't receive one in return.

I'm probably going to do this in a "blind" trust manner. I'll have the pens sent to a 3rd party and the 3rd party will send them on. I still don't want to intentionally embarrass someone.