PDA

View Full Version : General opinions on the blue Reliant brand bandsaws

Michael Poller
08-04-2009, 1:19 PM
Hi All,

I have a lead on a 14" Reliant brand (darker blue color) bandsaw.

What is the general opinion of these tools? It seems that they are the generic 14" style most brands sell with their names on it.

Waiting for the sellers response with more info, but the one pic I saw appears to show a half decent machine that has some slight surface rust on the table top.

Just looking right now whether this is even worth my time to look at. It's listed for $125 right now.

I'm thinking it's a good deal, if it is in good running condition, and that some tuning up, clean up, and maybe a riser install and such would turn it into a great deal and tool.

Thanks in advance for the opinions,
Mike

Michael Poller
08-04-2009, 1:40 PM
...based on threads like this one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99361&highlight=reliant

Going to pass and save my $ for a decent used Delta or something.

David Christopher
08-04-2009, 2:44 PM
Michael, I wouldnt just walk away....the saw might be worth while according to what you want to do with it....I dont think I would want to put a riser block on for resawing but for smaller work it might be the ticket....if it is close to where you live it dont cost nothing but time to go look

Chip Lindley
08-04-2009, 4:11 PM
IF the BS is complete, $125 sounds pretty good! Who knows? He make take $100! A USA-made Delta or Powermatic will cost you much more!

Reliant made some pretty good machinery back in the 80s-90s. A friend bought their 8" jointer and it was a keeper! I simply LOVED that hue of Reliant BLUE!