PDA

View Full Version : Ever worry about date stamping a piece intended for sale?

Dave Schell
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
When I was making alot of pieces for sale (compared to now where I'm mostly stuck with farm work every night :(), I often worried about putting a date stamp on the bottom of a piece. I was worried the piece might not sell any time soon and eventually the stamp would "date" the piece - making it appear old. In other words, would buyers have any hesitation buying a piece dated Feb 07 in Aug 09? Anyone else ever worry about that? Or have a customer ever ask about it?

Paul Atkins
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM
The question I might ask is " Why date it ?" I date some of my stuff mostly for my own amusement. If it is a good piece, it is a good piece no matter what date is on it.

Dennis Ford
08-04-2009, 1:05 PM
I put the date and type of wood along with my signature on my stuff, it hasn't been a problem. I don't sell a lot of pieces but have sold some fresh off the lathe and others as much as two years old. It is possible that someone has been put off by the date but if so, I have not heard about it.

Scott Hackler
08-04-2009, 1:11 PM
I started numbering my bowls (just to see how many bowls I have made) and like to date them as well. I have thought about this as well and was concidering hiding the "turn date" within a "serial number". For example:

turned in July 09 and bowl number 15 might be labeled in a serial number like 0709015 or 150709. As long as you knw the "code" it would work until someone ask what that number stands for.

Dave Schell
08-04-2009, 3:00 PM
Paul, in response to your question "why date it" - I think after the piece is sold and way down the road and many years from now, the date would be a very valuable piece of information for owners. I can see lots of owners wanting that information on the piece.

I have a feeling it's a bad thing though when the piece is still supposedly "new" but dated two years ago. It's like going into a car dealership today and seeing a "new" 2007 model - it's been sitting there a while and you will likely expect a pretty good discount off of the price.

I think in the best of worlds you could date the piece as soon as you sold it.

Mike Minto
08-04-2009, 3:04 PM
i, too, date my 'work'. i really don't sell my stuff (although i'd sure like to!) but keep it or give it away. i like the idea of knowing when something was made. who wouldn't like to have a Glaser or Ellsworth bowl that was from the 1980's, and able to prove it? mike ;)

Mark Burge
08-04-2009, 3:45 PM
Just don't make it an expiration date and you'll be fine.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2009, 3:48 PM
just don't make it an expiration date and you'll be fine.

rotflol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Walser
08-04-2009, 5:21 PM
When I took a class from Dale Nish, he suggested we amateurs should sign and date all our work. Pros, he suggested, should create a serial number system and record the date, type of project, type of wood, where sold, amount sold for, etc. in a log book along with the serial number. He suggested that such a practice, while not mandatory, could be very valuable to a turner. It would make it easier to learn what types of projects sell, spot trends in the market, etc.

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2009, 6:14 PM
If an item has a date on it that tells us when it was made, not how it affects the buyers desire to have it! When I started I dated everything then changed to just a number and the year such as: 08-09 (August 2009) I keep all the other info in a book that tells the exact date finish, wood type and any other pertinent info. I also put the wood type and I sign each piece too. For special pieces like wedding, birthday, anniversary, housewarming gifts etc. a date of completion and a notation for what it is for and that date will personalize it and give it provenance in the future when you are dead and gone and it ends up on the "Antique Roadshow"!!!! No matter how you do it I reccomend the personal log you keep that will be a bible to go by someday when a piece of your work shows up and information is needed.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reed Gray
08-04-2009, 7:02 PM
I do put month and year on the bottom of each bowl. Maybe some day I will be famous, and this could add to the value of the piece. Probably won't be famous till after my birth certificate expires.

Still doing better at getting famous than I am at getting rich, but I am having a lot of fun.

robo hippy

Joseph M Lary
08-04-2009, 8:17 PM
I started signing them and a number I wright in a note book the number and what it is wood & style, been thaking pictures also not sure they will get in the note book,small things just sign and the year it was turned.

Ryan Baker
08-04-2009, 8:52 PM
I'm glad you asked. I was just thinking the very same question!

I do put the date and wood type on my pieces when there is room. So far I haven't started selling pieces, but I may do so at some point. It seemed to me also that having a date on a piece that hasn't sold in a long time could easily start to detract a bit. It makes that new product not seem so "new". It's like, "This piece hasn't sold in xxx years ... there must be something wrong with it." I wonder how much, if at all, that would affect the value. Maybe people buying these pieces don't care about the age, but just the qualities of the piece itself. After a certain age, it seems like the date would start to be an advantage again, but I have no idea how long that would take. Sounds like many of the "pros" do not date their work, or at least try to mask the date behind some code.

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Just don't make it an expiration date and you'll be fine.

ROFLOL. Now thats funny

I always put the name of the wood, month & year and sign it.

Malcolm Tibbetts
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I've always placed the year made next to my signature; it's never caused a problem or a purchase hesitation from any potential buyers.

Tom Giacomo
08-05-2009, 12:28 AM
If any of my stuff becomes valuable or famous the shock alone will kill me.

David Walser
08-05-2009, 1:04 AM
I've always placed the year made next to my signature; it's never caused a problem or a purchase hesitation from any potential buyers.

Ya, well, Rembrandt didn't have problems selling his work, either. (That guy, Van Gogh, did, however.)

Steve Trauthwein
08-05-2009, 7:32 AM
I put the wood type and sign each piece. Early on I use to date them put I felt that people might see an older piece as one that is not as good (they probably weren't either). I find if you are selling them, the wood type is a great selling point.

I have been too lazy to do a journal. One with photos and information on each piece would be great, alas there is not enough time in the day. Like today I need to fix a leaky faucet, make bread and start painting the shed so I can have that done when company comes in October. No the shed is not that big, but I procrastinate.

A few days ago I turned a half dozen miniatures. I like the way they look and thought I would turn a dozen or so more for my next show. Now here is a challenge in trying to sign them! I think I am going to make a small scroll to stick in the opening of each with the wood type and my signature. Suggestions?

Regards, Steve

Steve Schlumpf
08-05-2009, 8:31 AM
Dave - I sell a few things and the date has never been an issue. I consider it a born on date and if anyone would ever ask why it is 2 to 4 years old - it is because I had a hard time parting with it! I do have some 2 year old cherry bowls that have turned that perfect aged cherry color and should I ever decide to sell them - the date would explain the rich color that comes with time.

Dave Schell
08-05-2009, 9:15 AM
if anyone would ever ask why it is 2 to 4 years old - it is because I had a hard time parting with it!

Steve - that's a brilliant marketing line: "Newly released from the creator's own personal collection" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Mark Hubl
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Good question. I have not wondered since I am far from a point of selling any of my stuff. Most will be gifts to relatives and friends. I currently am putting the year on the bottom. Here is an example of how Rude signed his.