PDA

View Full Version : Pen Making

Bill Bulloch
08-04-2009, 9:00 AM
I turned a few slimline pens last year when I first got my lathe. Found them easy and fast, but the end results of the slimline design was not very satisfying. I thought about trying some other styles, but found that you have to buy different drill bits and bushings for each style, so I didn't follow through with that thought. Resently thou, Penn State has been offering a special on some of their pen kits -- buy two get the accessories free. I bought the Olympian Elite and the Traditional and was so pleased with the results that I have ordered the Classic, Gardian, Gatsby and more of the Olympian Elites. Also, been reading up on Casting. Guess I am turning into a "Pen Turner". What ya think?

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2009, 9:53 AM
All your pens look really good to me Bill! Sounds like you have the bug pretty bad! Welcome to the vortex! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work real soon!

Dave Crowder
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Bill,

Those are some nice looking pens. Thanks for posting.

michael gallagher
08-04-2009, 2:32 PM
THose look pretty good from here....nice job.

David Drickhamer
08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice job on your pens. Turning different styles of pens is a lot of fun and I find it very satisfying.
Is it just me or is there a band missing on the fountain pen?
Dave

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Some good looking pens. Looks like you fell into the black hole deep.

Rich Souchek
08-05-2009, 11:05 PM
The pens look pretty good from here.
And they ae fun also, aren't they. They can be addictive.
I bought a decent set of drill bits up to 1/2 or so for $little $ and have most of the drill bit needed for most any pen.And have found that there are often 2 or 3 pens that share bushing. The Churchill and the el Grande, the Robusto and the el Toro, etc.
Find what kind of pen you like and go for it. It might take 6 pens or so to get the shape you want down, but each one I build is usually a better pen with better shape or fit. I keep learning and trying new things.
Rich S.

Tim Self
08-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Man, you're sucked in the vortex deep now! Note if you check out some of the sites, some will include bushings with purchase of 6 kits. I currently turn about 13 different bushings but only about a dozen bits. A few of the bits do cross over as well. If slimlines bore you to much, and they do, try segmenting or inlaying for a little excitment. It's better to experiment with a 7mm pen than a $15-20 kit.

Nice looking pens I may add.

Billy Tallant
08-07-2009, 1:17 AM
Very nice looking pens...