PDA

View Full Version : Another dovetail practice project

Gary Benson
08-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Again, after returning from the Cosman class, I realized that I wanted several new saws. I ordered 3 Adria saws, one dovetail, one small rip tenon, and one small x-cut tenon. I thought it only fitting that their first project would be a saw till for storage. I seem to have fallen into a cherry box/frame with maple panel theme in the shop, no different here. I built it about 19 inches wide, 34 inches tall, initially to hold 9-10 saws, max size was my neighbor's vintage 26 inch rip Diston, smallest is my Wenzloff dovetail. Saving room for larger tenon saws, and at least 3 future panel saws. It is located on the wall, just to the left of my wall cabinet above the left side of the bench/face vise. I used thru miter dovetails, and thru wedges mortise and tenon to hold the cross brace. French cleat to hang it on the wall. Will continue to look better as the cherry darkens.
Thanks for looking,
Gary

Gary Benson
08-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Another couple of pics to show where the new saw till lives. Already in use, seems very handy, and should help keep the saws from getting dinged up in the tool well.
Gary

Brian Kent
08-04-2009, 1:06 AM
Looking very nice - and useful - Gary.

Jim Barrett
08-04-2009, 1:29 AM
Gary,

Great job on the dovetails! Saw till looks really nice! Looks like you have been busy! Hope you enjoy your Adria saws!

Jim

David Gendron
08-04-2009, 3:04 AM
Realy good work on the dovetails! I like the design a lot! I think I should make one to! I got to much saws...
David

jerry nazard
08-04-2009, 4:49 AM
Gary,

Very nice. How about some pics of your tool cabinet?

-Jerry

John Keeton
08-04-2009, 7:05 AM
Gary, I love the mitered dovetails. With Jim Koepke's help, I am acquiring way too many rehabbed planes!!:eek: They are quickly taking over all available space in the till I built, and I think I could adapt this style to another "open face" plane till.

Nice work!