PDA

View Full Version : First practice dovetail project

Gary Benson
08-04-2009, 12:40 AM
After returning from the Cosman class, I wanted to practice to help cement the skills I picked up and make a few projects. Making a test joint in some random scrap is one thing, but cutting four joints with proper dimension and keeping it all straight is entirely another, but here it is. I needed to make a simple step for my father in law to get into bed easier. I grabbed some pine and milled it up to make a 7 inch high step 16x24 inches. I decided to use thru miter dovetails for the corners, again just for practice. It came out well, with a few struggles. I kind of regret using ordinary plywood for the platform, but it was handy.
Thanks for looking,
Gary

Jim Barrett
08-04-2009, 1:31 AM
Gary,
Nice job on the miter dovetails...all that practice with Rob came in handy!

Jim

John Keeton
08-04-2009, 6:48 AM
Gary, great dovetails!! But, I am with you on the plywood - kind of like buying a brand new spiffy pickup, and then taking it to the farm to haul manure??!! A nice cherry or walnut piece on top, with a maple inlay would have been nice;):)

But, I am sure your Dad appreciates the effort regardless!!

Obviously, the "hell week" at Rob's was well worth the time and money, and it is good to start applying the skills as soon as possible.

Dan Karachio
08-04-2009, 7:46 AM
I often wondered the same thing - "Once I can cut the joints, how the heck do I make drawers (or other pieces) to size?" That was a great project to move along. Smart and I'm sure you dad appreciates it.

Gary Benson
08-04-2009, 9:50 AM
The original reason for the plywood was that my wife wanted the box painted, but I did not have the heart to cover up the joints. I would like to be able to look back in the future.

Richard Dooling
08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Very nice!

I've been so involved with Harry Homeowner projects that I've been neglecting my skill building excercises. I like this idea of actual projects as practice pieces.

Roy Wall
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Gary -

I followed along with the RC class you and others took. Your DTs are excellent. They look flawless. You have mastered the joint basically, and the more you can stay in practice this next year - the better. THese look good and it's a worthy, practical project. Just remember - your worth the good stuff (Cherry, Walnut, Maple, etc...) now....:)