PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of Denike Matthews? (II)

Mike Langford
08-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I posted this on the carving forun too, but I don't think anyone's home! :D
I thought it might get a little more exposure here....(mods if this is not allowed please delete)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Saturday I bought some carving chisels and such from an 88 yr old gentleman who was selling all his carving stuff on Craigslist....

Included were 11 chisels that are marked "DENIKE-MATTHEWS" and they appear to be well made....The story the old gentleman told me was, about 20 yrs. ago he attended a carving school run by Mr. Denike Matthews in Oakland, New Jersey(?)

He said that Denike had a tool company (he didn't know the co. name) in Newark, New Jersey(?) make up these chisels for him to sell at his school.....

Has anyone (especially you Joisey guys) ever heard of Denike Matthews and/or his carving school (remember this was 20 yrs ago...)

Does anyone else have a set of Denike carving chisel?

Does anyone know which tool company made the chisels?

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated....I'm curious to know if anyone else is familiar with Denike Matthews!

124539 124540

Here's a pic of some of the other stuff I got from the old gentleman....

All you carving guys keep an eye on the classifieds as I'm going to sell some of the items I bought to offset the total cost of what I keep! ;)