PDA

View Full Version : Waterborne Finishes

Mike Mortenson
09-05-2004, 8:12 PM
I have a HVLP Turbine sprayer and started out using lacquer finishes. I decided there must be a better product. I got on the Internet and did some research. I ended up buying a waterborne product from Fuhr. I think this product is worth taking a look at. The finish looks excellentand is easy to apply. Their are no bad fumes like with lacquers, I can spray the waterborne materials inside with no ill effects. Does anyone else use this product or have any experiences with waterborne products?

Jim Becker
09-05-2004, 9:18 PM
I generally use Target Coatings WB Oxford USL acrylic lacquer, but have also use the Fuhr International 9100. Since I will NOT spray solvent-based products in my shop, the WB finishes are the only thing I use when I spray. I've been very, very pleased with the results, too. Clean up is a snap and the low- or no-VOC formulations mean a much safer spraying environment without resorting to special, expensive ventilation systems.

What I really like about the Target Coatings USL product is that it "burns in" exactly like NCL lacquers. Nice folks to do business with, too.

Pete Rosenbohm
09-05-2004, 9:28 PM
Mike I have used the fuhr 355 satin with good results, dries quick and ready for next coat in about 30 minutes depending on the humidity.
Pete

Jeremy Bracey
09-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Im not a huge water based fan, but I have used several. First, I used Crystallaq(sp) not sure how it is spelled. But more recently I meet a guy that runs a "Ma and Pop" paint store. He sells a waterbased product by ML Campbell (sorry dont remember the actual product name) I have been VERY impressed for a water based. THey also make a "post cat" laquer that is mixed by the paint store (not at the factory) and is then good for 120 days. Kind of a pre/post cat laquer. Anyway, ML Campbell products say "for industrial use only" on the can and you cant get them at any normal retailer, but several local furniture companies use thier products exclusivly.