PDA

View Full Version : Another Shooting Board Plane

Ron Brese
08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Yet another Shooting Board Plane. Rosewood Infill and knob, brass lever cap, silicone bronze lever cap screw, 2" wide 0-1 iron, 2.560 wide x 10.25 inches long, weight 8 lbs 1/2 .oz, inlay is ivory, 38 degrees bevel down configuration.

I saw the othe post about shooting planes and thought I would post pics of this one.

Ron Brese

David Christopher
08-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Ron, that is a beautiful plane....looks to rich for my blood

David Gendron
08-04-2009, 2:59 AM
Realy beautiful work Ron! I'm just waiting for my Philyplane LSmiter(mitre)plane to arrive! I sur would love to have one of yours!
Great work!
David

george wilson
08-04-2009, 9:42 AM
Those planes are so simple,they are very elegant!! Do you have any round edge knurls? Do you machine your own knurled knobs? I make many of my knurls,and have some antique ones,too,of the type that old microscopes were made with.

Terry Beadle
08-04-2009, 9:50 AM
I notice the handle position is ( my guess ) slightly behind the cutting edge. The other miter planes I've seen have the screw in handle ahead of the blade by 1 to 2 inches so it's pulled cut and not a pushed cut relative to the plane length.

Can you comment on why the handle was postioned the way it is?

BTW - What a beauty !

Bill Satko
08-04-2009, 9:58 AM
Like all your planes, beautiful! Makes my #9 look very homely.

Richard Dooling
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Another beautiful plane!

I've been-a-wantin' to build my first wooden plane and the thing I really want to add to the plane bin is a dedicated shooting board plane.

Ron Brese
08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Terry,

When developing this design we tried many positions. The position ahead of the cutting point tended to let the plane kick out of the cut when encountering thicker materials, almost as if one would need to use it two handed in this situation which is not always possible when shooting. This position allows you to apply pressure toward the shooting board and the work piece simultaneously and with very little effort. In fact with the mass of this tool if it were not for the sound and the resulting shaving you might think you were not actually doing any cutting.

George, the lever cap screw for this plane was made by Johnny Kleso, aka "RareBear". Johnny has a very in depth machining background and helps me immensely with this aspect of tool design.

To everyone, thanks for the compliments on this plane. Having a dedicated tool is a great pleasure when faced with a project that requires a lot of shooting.

Ron Brese