PDA

View Full Version : A mixing bowl

Phil Labowski
08-03-2009, 9:48 PM
Okay my wife just commissioned a mixing bowl ;) My question is... how do I protext a bowl from the mixer? As well as, what do I seal/treat the bowl with, or is that the same question?
I got the call from Woodcraft tonight now I just need the surgeon to fix me:)

David Christopher
08-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Phil, my mom has had a maple mixing bowl since I was a little boy ( thats a long time ) and it still looks good...for the finish I would use salad bowl oil finish or mineral oil

Nathan Hawkes
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm going to answer your question with a question...does the mixer rest the beaters against the bowl, or just above? I'd use a pretty hard wood; hickory, ash, hard maple. I'd avoid red maple or walnut. Pretty soft in comparison. Dough mixing bowls are often made from pretty soft, tight grained woods, but the constant friction of the beaters on the surface is going to be a problem. You could turn in a recess and use an insert of something like HDPE--high density polyethylene. That would kind of defeat the purpose of using a wood bowl. Keep us informed, preferably pictorially informed as well....

Greg Just
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
tell her to use a rubber spatula :D

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Phil - you don't want to use some type of a film finish as that will eventually chip off into your food. There are different products available but I would use Mahoney's Walnut Oil.

Not promoting this particular vendor - just want to show what I am talking about.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Finishing___Finishes___Mahoney_Utility_Finishes___ mahoney_utility?Args=
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Finishing___Waxes___Mahoney_Walnut_Oil_Wax___mahon ey_walnut?Args=

Phil Labowski
08-04-2009, 8:44 AM
is there any concern about food allergies with walnut oil? Also, she uses a hand held mixer with the beaters (or our toddlers do :) ).

Paul Atkins
08-04-2009, 1:09 PM
Hickory and ash would be too porous - go with maple, beech or fruitwood if you can find a big enough piece. Make 2, one for mixing and beating up and the other for serving.