PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Jointer Help needed

Steve Southwood
08-03-2009, 9:44 PM
Picked one up today and have a couple questions.

What do you use to make these things mobile?

What is the best stuff to use to keep the top from rusting?

Yes, I tried the search, to no avail. I never was smart enough to figure them out. :D

Justin McCarthy
08-03-2009, 9:49 PM
Picked one up today and have a couple questions.

What do you use to make these things mobile?

What is the best stuff to use to keep the top from rusting?

Yes, I tried the search, to no avail. I never was smart enough to figure them out. :D

I use the rockler mobile base.... I had to drill different holes in the angle iron on the sides though to get it so the foot pedal is on the outfeed end (and thus more stable in transit) - but it does work well.

I used Boeshield T-9 on all my cast iron. As long as i reapply every so often I don't have rust.

David Christopher
08-03-2009, 9:50 PM
Steve, woodcraft sells a nice mobile base for a good price......I use T9 boeshield for all my cast iron

glenn bradley
08-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I have used Johnson's Paste Wax for years and have no problems with rust. Easy to put on and I just renew it a few times a year. You location will have a lot to do with what works for you. I am in SoCal in the desert basin so humidity problems are very rare. The heat does make the wax easy to work with though ;-)

Steve Southwood
08-04-2009, 8:13 AM
David, I looked at Woodcraft and found several. Could you point me to the one, you have in mind?

David Christopher
08-04-2009, 8:49 AM
Steve, I couldnt find the one I used at woodcraft but I found it at Rockler

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383

Steve Southwood
08-04-2009, 9:07 AM
Hey I found one myself, I was going to you thanks. Woodcraft has one in stock, so a roadtrip my be in order.

lowell holmes
08-04-2009, 9:20 AM
I suggest looking at the Jet mobile base. I suspect it would fit. I have a jointer and a bandsaw on the Jet moblle bases. They are easy to use and very stable.

After looking at a picture of the Ridgid jointer, check the footprint of the jointer.

Nate Folco
08-04-2009, 9:46 AM
I just have a sheet of 3/4" plywood with locking casters bolted on. No problems with it. I use Boeshield T-9 to keep it rust free and reduce friction.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
W/C has a Delta MB that utilizes 3/4" plywood as the base material. You can make it any size you like. Remember to make the base larger than the jointer, to make it more stable. The kit is EASY to build. Just cut the plywood. dill and assemble.

I also use T9, and Renisance (sp? I can't ever remember how to spell that wax). Renisance wax is self removing. T9 seems to leave this slightly sticky surface. And I live in the rust capital of the US.

Tom Welch
08-04-2009, 1:32 PM
I bought a HTC 2000 base from Amazon.com for my ridgid jointer. I love it. +1 for wax. But I hear the T-9 is really good stuff.

John Gregory
08-04-2009, 2:31 PM
Because the unit is top heavy and mostly towards the back of the machine. I made my mobile bass a larger foot print for stability. If you notice the fence adjustment hangs over the base in the back. I made the base as wide as the widest part of the machine. I hope that made sense:confused:

Steve Southwood
08-04-2009, 9:00 PM
Thanks again folks. Will give each base a good look.