PDA

View Full Version : This really stinks

Jim Rimmer
08-03-2009, 9:30 PM
I have posted lately about upgrading/refurbing my old Crapsman table saw to try to save on buying a new one. Well, I bought an Incra miter gage (1000SE) and a used Delta T2 fence. Scrubbed off the rust, cleaned up the saw, installed the fence and miter gage. Looked great!! Couldn't wait to start using it. Tonight I started it up to cut some 1x6 cedar to make birdhouses with the g'kids. Motor started to stink (maybe smoke, not sure). :eek: Turned it off and looked for fire and smoke. Blade would free wheel OK. Plugged it back in, only sat and hummed. Turned it off, gave the blade a spin and turned it on. Started to run and tripped the breaker.

So, I may be in the market for a new saw anyway. :( I can reuse the Incra and guess I can try to sell the T2 if I don't put it on the new saw.

David Christopher
08-03-2009, 9:37 PM
sorry to here about your saw Jim, but it seems to be in the stars for a new one......do you know what kind that youre going to get

harry strasil
08-03-2009, 9:40 PM
did you take the ends off the motor and check for some obstruction or if it was full of sawdust and/or dirt, and check the starter throw out switch.

Peter Quinn
08-03-2009, 9:47 PM
Have you considered a new motor? Those old emerson motors they often ran put the word crap in Crapsman. My dad gave me an old craftsman shaper with an open drip motor that was worth more as scrap then as a tool (and it didn't weight much either). I through in a 1HP tefc Grizzly, I have a usable tool again for $100.

Not trying to talk ANYBODY out of buying a new tool, but if you happen to like the saw and it works for you why not change out that power plant for one that works?

Jim Rimmer
08-03-2009, 9:50 PM
did you take the ends off the motor and check for some obstruction or if it was full of sawdust and/or dirt, and check the starter throw out switch.
I was so POed I just closed up and went in the house. Maybe consider other solutions when I'm in a better mood. It's a direct drive and very difficult to get at. The saw also has some other issues that I WAS willing to live with but now ?????

Bill Huber
08-03-2009, 9:57 PM
What a bummer..... I hate it when things like that happen.:mad:

With a direct drive I would say its time to get a new one.

Or find a good deal on the list....

Bruce Wrenn
08-03-2009, 10:09 PM
So now you are watching craigslist for a Delta model 10 with crappy stock fence. Most buy the saw, and then buy upgrade fence. You are doing it the other way round.

Loren Hedahl
08-03-2009, 10:26 PM
You need to identify first what type of motor it is. If it has a commutator and brushes it is an ac-dc universal motor.

If it has a bulge on the side (which is a starting capacitor) it is squirrel cage motor.

In applications such as circular saws the ac-dc universal motors almost always have a gear train to reduce blade speed and multiply torque. Your problem could easily be in the gear train and also easily corrected.

If it is an old squirrel cage motor, the problem could be the old electrolytic starting capacitor. These things dry up in old age and lose capacitance. One way to check, although quite dangerous, is to spin the motor and before it comes to a stop, energize it. It should power up in the direction you are spinning it.

You could also take the old motor to a motor repair shop to get an idea if its worth fixing.

On the other hand, this might be a great time to chuck the old beast and get a brand new ______________. I'm not about to comment on what you should buy.

george wilson
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
My old 1964 Emerson drill press motor(on my 1964 Craftsman drill press) conked out last week. I am really p.o.'ed,and am going to take it to Sears and DEMAND a new one!!! :)