PDA

View Full Version : Am I gonna regret not buying the old Delta Band Saw?

Shawn Christ
08-03-2009, 9:15 PM
So tonight I find myself in the garage of this questionable guy, in a not-so-good neighborhood, in a less-than-reputable neighboring city. He's selling an old Delta 14" band saw. Wants $150.

It's a very old Delta. Lots of cast iron, made in the USA - no doubting that. Couldn't find a model number anywhere. 3/4 HP motor. Looks very similar to the model listed here on OWWM (http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=51). The questionable guy bought it used a long time ago but never used it. He replaced the belt. That's it. He started it up and it seemed to run fine. But I'm not sure... No time to research it, no time to check with you guys first. He said he thought it was worth the $150.

I'm new to band saws. Never used one. Just been keeping an eye out for a decent used one locally. I want the ability to resaw, and perhaps use it for miscellaneous tapers and tenons. Not significant resawing but when I want 1/2" stock for a few drawers or panels, I would rather use this than waste a can full of chips from my planer. From what I've found here is the saw will require a new motor, blade, riser block, tires, and whatever cool blocks are. I know... get a book about band saws.

So I tell him what I told you -- it will probably need all of these parts for me to be able to use it. He says "fine, I will call the other guys who are interested in it" and starts walking out of the garage. I tell him thanks anyway and walk to the truck - wondering if I should turn around. I don't. Now I'm home typing this.

So did I make the wrong choice? Am I gonna regret this decision?

Jim Rimmer
08-03-2009, 9:17 PM
I don't know much about band saws but I would say trust your gut instincts.

Tim Boger
08-03-2009, 9:20 PM
So tonight I find myself in the garage of this questionable guy, in a not-so-good neighborhood, in a less-than-reputable neighboring city. He's selling an old Delta 14" band saw. Wants $150.

It's a very old Delta. Lots of cast iron, made in the USA - no doubting that. Couldn't find a model number anywhere. 3/4 HP motor. Looks very similar to the model listed here on OWWM (http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=51). The questionable guy bought it used a long time ago but never used it. He replaced the belt. That's it. He started it up and it seemed to run fine. But I'm not sure... No time to research it, no time to check with you guys first. He said he thought it was worth the $150.

I'm new to band saws. Never used one. Just been keeping an eye out for a decent used one locally. I want the ability to resaw, and perhaps use it for miscellaneous tapers and tenons. Not significant resawing but when I want 1/2" stock for a few drawers or panels, I would rather use this than waste a can full of chips from my planer. From what I've found here is the saw will require a new motor, blade, riser block, tires, and whatever cool blocks are. I know... get a book about band saws.

So I tell him what I told you -- it will probably need all of these parts for me to be able to use it. He says "fine, I will call the other guys who are interested in it" and starts walking out of the garage. I tell him thanks anyway and walk to the truck - wondering if I should turn around. I don't. Now I'm home typing this.

So did I make the wrong choice? Am I gonna regret this decision?

Save your money and buy a nice new machine, you'll be glad you did.

Tim

Mike Cutler
08-03-2009, 9:24 PM
Shawn

I don't think you should regret it at all. Having no experience with a band saw, trying to buy an old one could really turn into a bad experience for you.
Pass on it, and wait for one that doesn't need any work. You don't need another project right now, you just need a working band saw.;)

Michael Boyle
08-03-2009, 9:36 PM
Hard to say on this one, but I would say that if your gut said 'No', that is all you need. The bandsaw you pictured on OWWM is a very old model from Delta. If that is indeed what you were looking at, it would probably need some work before it would be a good user. This would include, new tires - bandsaw tires from that era were rubber and tend to dry out - new guide blocks, possibly new wheel berings and definately a new tension spring (the older ones will get weak over time and not give you a good blade tension, especially of you are planning to resaw) The motor is definatly a replacement since they did not ship with 3/4 hp motors on the open stand units from Delta until much later. Actually I think it was not until the 90's but don't quote me on that. Since the motor is not original, you would also have to make certain it had the correct pully and was rated for the correct RPM. Given all of that, the $150.00 it cost would just be the starting point. Now the question about whether or not it was worth it. For an old saw of that era, the price is not bad. I enjoy restoring old woodworking equipment and if I had been faced with the same choice, I probably would have purchased it. (as long as there were no cracks in the castings) If, on the other hand, I was looking for a saw I could put into service with minimal tuning or repair work, this would not be the saw I would purchase. To that point, I have worked on quite a few bandsaws over the years, but the 14" one that I use in my shop is a late 90's, American Made, Delta 28-275.

Shawn Christ
08-03-2009, 9:37 PM
Shawn
You don't need another project right now, you just need a working band saw.;)

Amen to that, Mike. Thanks for the wisdom so far, guys.

Matt Meiser
08-03-2009, 9:48 PM
If you don't want a project then you made a good choice. But if it was like the one pictured, you can't get a better set of bones. Tires, guide blocks, spring, etc aren't terribly expensive and many new saws need at least some of these upgrades. The currently available riser block would probably fit for resawing. You might need to do a motor upgrade (remember older motors are typically underrated by current specs.) He's probably not going to have much trouble selling it for his asking price unless it is unrestorable.

Bob Aquino
08-03-2009, 9:49 PM
Well, without seeing the saw its hard to say, but if it was an old delta and it seemed to run good and all the parts were there, then yep, it was worth the money. You are not buying the neighborhood, the city or the guy, you are looking for a saw. Do some research so you know what is important and go with cash in hand so if you find a deal you can jump on it.

Bruce Page
08-03-2009, 9:54 PM
Shawn, I think you made a good decision. From what I can tell from the OWWM pic, later Delta 14” BS’s have a heavier base casting – I had a 1982 that looked heavier.

Be patient & keep looking. You might end up spending more than $150 but there are a lot of good, ready to run bandsaws out there.

Shawn Christ
08-03-2009, 9:59 PM
Well, without seeing the saw its hard to say, but if it was an old delta and it seemed to run good and all the parts were there, then yep, it was worth the money. You are not buying the neighborhood, the city or the guy, you are looking for a saw. Do some research so you know what is important and go with cash in hand so if you find a deal you can jump on it.

Agreed, hard to say. And I'm sure I will find varying opinions here. But this was exactly the problem. No model number, no photo, and no time for research. Saw the ad online late last night, called him during my lunch hour, and went shortly after work. Had the cash on hand but not enough knowledge to pull the trigger.

Bruce Wrenn
08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Didn't look at the picture, but the last open stand 14" Delta I bought, I paid $65 at Habitat. This was a Rockwell era saw, with motor mounted below the saw on the stand. I paid $225 for the other open stand one in my shop. Currently here on craigslist is an enclosed stand 14" Delta for $350. Has magnetic starter. Hoping to go $ee it tomorrow. A generic was on cl for $75 this weekend.

Dan Friedrichs
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
If you're just looking for a good 14" Delta/clone bandsaw, I think you could find one much more "plug-and-play" for not much more money. I've seen them listed for $250-ish (on the low end) on CL. May not be old and heavy, but would be immediately ready to use.

Myk Rian
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
If I was looking, I might have jumped on that one. Would make a nice old tool gloat when restored.

I searched CL for several months before I found my Delta 14" 28-299 USA saw. Cost me $400 but was worth it. Excellent condition. With the riser and a couple blades I have $600 in it and am very happy.

Keep looking. The right one will bite you from the monitor when you see it.

george wilson
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I would definitely have bought the old Delta. I have an old model with the hexagonal rod used back in 1964 for $125.00. I had to get a motor for it.

Cool blocks are not expensive at all. mine still has the original steel block guides. I grind them square on the ends every few decades.

An old delta bandsaw will be more properly aligned,and the wheels will be much rounder than most new clones. Plus,the frame will be thicker cast iron.

I am refurbishing a 20" old Delta,and do not know what to do with my old 14",but don't have the space for both. I do not want to sell it either,but if I did,I wouldn't take less than $400.00 for it. Go back and get it. If no parts are missing,fixing it up is no big deal.

Alan Schwabacher
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Iturra, whose business is bandsaws, says that the 1930's era Delta is the best 14" bandsaw available, better than any new saw. He said this after extensive testing, but the old saw he tested had the enclosed base.

george wilson
08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
My old Delta has the open base. So what? It is perfectly sturdy. I did locate and sell a real old 14" with a nice art deco enclosed cast iron base. I could have kept it,but have been perfectly happy with mine,and the motor is easier to get to.

Shawn Christ
08-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Go back and get it. If no parts are missing,fixing it up is no big deal.

Easy for you to say George. Not including the time it would take for me to read and familiarize myself with bandsaws and their restoration, and considering it takes me twice as long than most others to finish a project, how much time and money are we talking about to restore a saw such as this? Assume all the parts are there.

george wilson
08-03-2009, 11:13 PM
A 14" saw isn't that complicated,really. Do you have a woodworker friend to look at it with you? If it only needs cool blocks,they are something like $14.00 IIRC. Tires are easy to find for a 14'' saw.

When I go to buy something I am not fully familiar with,I get a friend who knows the subject better to go along. It's probably gone by now anyway.

Gary McNair
08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
I purchased what appeared to be an older Delta 14" bandsaw about 3 yrs ago. It looked good, ran quiet, blade ran true so I went for it. Turns out it was made in the 1934-1939 time frame, model #891! I enjoy the challenge of refurbishing, paint, blade guides, etc so this was a great experience for me. Many parts have remained unchanged over the yrs.
If you are not intimated by the above chores, you will have a useful piece for many yrs.

Larry Rasmussen
08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Once you have had some band saw practical experience so you know how one should feel and what size would really be right for you and have something to actually saw wood with while you look for parts then you will be ready for an old beauty to restore or just get running and prepared to do it at an enjoyable pace.

Dang, now I want one. I'm getting aquainted with band sawing with the little jet 10".

Luck,
Larry Rasmussen
Seattle

glenn bradley
08-04-2009, 1:24 AM
I think you did OK Shawn. I sometimes ignore my gut and things work out OK but, more often, my gut is right. Its not the last old 14" Delta you'll ever run into. Having not owned a BS before, you may not be ready to commit to "the last bandsaw I'll ever buy" right now. Take some time and determine what your needs are.

Example, I bought a larger bandsaw and shortly after sold my smaller saw. Shortly after that I realized I shouldn't have. Inexperience with the larger saw had me make a suboptimal decision :rolleyes:. I found a 1970's Delta at a garage sale and now use that for smaller stuff. Coulda just kept the one I sold like most of the folks here told me to do. Live and learn. :(

Vic Damone
08-04-2009, 5:54 AM
I have a handed down mid fifties vintage and as long as the motor and switch are working everything else is very simple to freshen up. Mine is working as well as it can but I still have a dislike for the upper guide design. Hex or round they move when they're tightened down. This isn't a deal breaking issue just a pet peeve. If I had a modern saw I'd put a narrow blade on the Delta and a re saw blade on the other.

A new saw would probably have a more powerful motor and a rack an pinion style upper guide. A neighbor bought a Laguna LT14 SUV with their Drift Master fence. This is a whole other level of 14" performance. Lots of power, terrific guide design, dust collection, and the ultimate fence system. After using that saw the whole vintage thing is, well...vintage.

Larry Edgerton
08-04-2009, 7:15 AM
I have an old variant of that saw with an enclosed base and a second gearbox for metal cutting, and as far as I am concerned, if it is all there you just missed out.

The best deals are often found at the homes of people that you do not want to have lunch with. They are the ones that need the money because for whatever fate or circumstance, they need money. As others have said, you are not buying the neighborhood.

I just set up a Rigid for my brother, and I wouldn't trade a thousand of them for my old Delta. Not only that but there is a satisfaction that comes from resurrecting old iron, and it is the most enviromentally responsible thing to do, despite what Obama may tell you.;)

If all of the parts are there and the wheels are not bent, there is very little needed to restore one of these. Bearings are cheap, as are coolblocks, which by the way don't come on anything else either, and tires are inexpensive as well. Mostly elbow grease and a few hours to disassemble and reassemble. But.... When you are done you will understand your saw and be able to apply logic to correct any cutting errors as you have had all the parts in your hands and will understand how they work together.

george wilson
08-04-2009, 9:19 AM
My work mate,Jon,bought a very old Delta from the 50's from a foundry,where,though a wood saw,had only been used to saw brass castings. It needed no work,though paint would have been nice. Actually,my old Delta wood saw was in an aluminum foundry. they made those old window trays that used to be hooked unto your car's window at the old driveins. It was used to cut the sprues off their castings.

I don't see why the guide bars moving matters: They lock back where they belong when the y are tightened back,especially the old ones like mine with the hexagonal bars.

Anyway,an old Delta 14" is a pretty simple machine to deal with,if you can tell if all the guide's pieces are there. Don't want to go paying for the "Historic potmetal parts" from Delta.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Give him a call and see if it still available. Bandsaws are pretty simple, and as many have mentioned, if you have to do some work on it, that will only make you familiar with how it works, and future tuning and adjustment will be a snap. If it's gone, no loss, as many have also said, your gut instinct is usually good. And it won't be the last saw you'll find. I lucked out and got a PM 14", Kreg fence, Rockler table, riser, mobile base, carter rollers and a tension release for 600. That is a good saw too. Deals are out there.

Just my .02.

Matthew Hills
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Others have all had good feedback.

My impression: $150 may be fair, but it isn't a no-brainer pricing point. This means that for it to be worthwhile, you'd need to be either committed to a potential rehabilitation project or be able to evaluate the condition of the saw to determine if you're getting the value you want.

The owwm site is probably the best place for advice on the restorations. But it's a passion (some might say addiction?) for a lot of those guys -- spending unreasonable amounts of time and money to have a perfect restoration with all of the period-correct knobs and art-deco bases, etc.

From my limited bandsaw experience and hunting:
basic consummables: blades, blade guides, bearings, tires
other wear items: motor, blade tension spring
losable pieces: throat insert, table pin (usually brings the table into alignment across the split), blade guards
breakables: any part of the casting, wheels (check for warp on these)

Motors are a separate art that I have little expertise in, other than to now know that there are big-looking motors that are derisively called "washing machine motors" that aren't worth much (and are usually over-rated in HP). The quality tool motors often come in full housings that look like propane tanks, weigh a lot, and are considered much more desirable.

Matt

Gerald Jensen
08-04-2009, 2:15 PM
You didn't make a mistake. You were right to walk away. The guy you were talking to was betting your would turn around and cave ... he lost! I wonder what would have happened if you would have offered him $75 or $100?

Chip Lindley
08-04-2009, 3:13 PM
The name DELTA on a vintage bandsaw means alot! $150 would not be unreasonable for a complete machine! I know you just want a working bandsaw for not too much Green! But, I see many 14" BS's listed for $100 or MORE (chinese clones) which are much less than this classic old saw. You will probably pay much more than $150 for a *like-new* Chiwan import. Rockwell/Delta's and Powermatics bring even more!

Restoration to *brand new* status is the domain of a very few *all-consumed* machine afficianados! They would not dare not use their pristine machines on a daily basis! Refurbishing old machines is a more pragmatic approach to get the machine in working condition, but still not for everyone! Some have neither the inclination or mechanical ability. But a guy learns by doing, IF he has the desire!

I would have offered the guy $100 to see what he would do! IF he is stuck on $150, I would have to take a very close look at the tires and guides and tabletop. Buying old machines does not have to be a *crap shoot*! A little knowledge goes a long way--and the only way to learn is by *doing*!