PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Gary Nicholls
08-03-2009, 8:23 PM
Hello all. I have been lurking for the last year or so absorbing as much info about lasers as I can. I am close to a purchase now and felt that it is time to come into the open. A bit about myself, I am a tool and die type machinst that became unemployed two years ago when the company's biggest customers started sending the work to China. I have been spending most of my surplus cash buying machinery for my pole barn shop. My goal is a shop that I can produce whatever products that I can sell to be self sufficiant. I have a good imagination and see a lot of possibilities using a laser. I had decided on a used ULS, but they are few and far between, at least in my price range. I am currently considering a Rabbit. I know, a machine from the place that cost me my job. But emotions set aside, they seem to be the best bang for the buck, and my bucks are running low. There is a stocking store that claims service and tech. support also just across the state line a ways. I will be visiting them in the next couple weeks to check them out. I have learned a lot from you guys and gals already. I will be asking questions and hopefully contributing as well. Thank you for all the help you have given me already.

Sincerely, Gary

Dee Gallo
08-03-2009, 8:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Gary! You're among friends here.

Where are you located? Before you buy a rabbit, ask around your area for a dealer demo - they can be pretty reasonable.

cheers, dee

Dave Garcia
08-03-2009, 9:14 PM
Gary,

Welcome to SMC!

With regards to buying a laser and getting started in your home business, there is a TON of info on both aspects here. I strongly urge you to go through it all BEFORE you even remotely consider putting up the cash for a laser engraver. The same goes with starting a small business. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel so to speak. And the folks here have a wealth of information. Yes, I note from your post that you've been following the trials of those of us who've come before but, read it again. Making business and major purchasing decisions from the "need" to make living money does not cut it in the laser engraving business. And I don't mean that in a negative way. It's just the truth.

Good luck with your research. It took me two years to get where I'll be purchasing my first laser within the next couple of months. There are a lot of others on this forum who've done as I've done. Just don't be afraid to ask the questions. There are no dumb ones in that regards.

Again, welcome to one of the finest forums that I know of!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Glenn Corser
08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
named Rob Bosworth who sells used lasers at www.usedlasers.com (http://www.usedlasers.com). We bought one from him and have been extremely happy. He posts lasers on his site but give him a call if you don't see what you want he is easy to talk to and work with. I don't personally know Rob, own stock in his company, or anything else, we are just satisfied customers.