PDA

View Full Version : Is a cherry "crotch" desirable...

Andy Haney
08-03-2009, 8:15 PM
for turning? I think so, but I'm not a turner. A recent significant storm took down a cherry tree that I'm getting from a family friend. That tree forked approximately 8 feet above ground. I'm happy to make that "fork" available to anyone who could make good use of it, assuming you believe free is a good price for you picking it up. If so, please PM me. I'll commit to the first yes in the KC area, and let you know when we get the tree out.

Andy Haney

Ryan Baker
08-03-2009, 8:24 PM
Absolutely yes. I'm a bit too far away to pick it up though ... :)

Jim Underwood
08-03-2009, 9:48 PM
Shoot yeah. Just about any crotch has some good figure in it.

Look up a club in your area at the AAW website, and talk to the contact person there to see if any of the turners are interested.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Crotch generally has some really nice figure and yes is desirable to turn.

Tom Sontag
08-04-2009, 1:11 AM
I would guess that 8 out 10 cherry crotches I see have bark inclusions or other imperfections. This does not mean you should not try to salvage it. But if it is a sharp V shape with rippling bark down each side, expect lots of character and related challenges in using it. It may be hard to keep together.

Steve Trauthwein
08-04-2009, 7:34 AM
Hi Andy,

I am in Independence, MO and would love to get a nice piece of cherry crotch. Cherry is one of my favorite woods to turn. Do you get over to KC area at all?

Regards, Steve saltwein@comcast.net

Dennis Ford
08-04-2009, 6:59 PM
I would guess that 8 out 10 cherry crotches I see have bark inclusions or other imperfections. This does not mean you should not try to salvage it. But if it is a sharp V shape with rippling bark down each side, expect lots of character and related challenges in using it. It may be hard to keep together.

For crotch pieces with the sharp V shape, consider a different cutting strategy. Most crotch pieces are cut through the pith, but this shape works better if cut between the piths (90 deg to the "normal" cut).

Jon Lanier
08-05-2009, 4:44 AM
Ottawa.... is that near Burlington? Just wondering because I sent a resume there.

Aaron Wingert
08-05-2009, 4:48 PM
Ottawa.... is that near Burlington? Just wondering because I sent a resume there.

They're not terribly far apart...Probably 30 minutes or so??? A resume going to Burlington had to have something to do with the nuclear power plant!

Jon Lanier
08-05-2009, 6:00 PM
They're not terribly far apart...Probably 30 minutes or so??? A resume going to Burlington had to have something to do with the nuclear power plant!

Actually a church.

Andy Haney
08-05-2009, 10:23 PM
I may shove this part of the tree into the woods and let it set until one of you sends someone my way. The "logs" are at the sawyer, and we start making flat pieces tomorrow evening.

I'dathunk power plant for Burlington, also, and 30 minutes toward KC from Burlington is about right.

Andy

Ryan Baker
08-11-2009, 9:36 PM
Come on guys! Nobody near KC wants this? Don't let a good cherry crotch blank go to waste!