PDA

View Full Version : jigsaw/sawzall

brent warner
08-03-2009, 8:02 PM
okay,my craftsman jig saw got HOT and smells funny(a plasticy electrical smell) anyway I'm thinking a new jigsaw is probably in the near future,and maybe a sawzall too. what's the favored brand/model ?
thanks,brent

Rick Moyer
08-03-2009, 8:05 PM
Most will say Bosch for the jigsaw. I'd guess most willl also say Milwaukee for the sawzall. These are what I have and am very happy with both.

Greg Hines, MD
08-03-2009, 8:37 PM
That electrical smell is ozone.

I have a Craftsman Pro Jigsaw. It can be used with the upper trigger handle, or as a barrel style, which I like to be able to switch. It uses T-shank blades, but was very reasonable when I got it.

I have a cheap reciprocating saw when my brother gave me a Ryobi set. I don't know what I will do when I replace it.

Doc

glenn bradley
08-03-2009, 9:10 PM
I'll do as expected and say Bosch on the jigsaw, I have the Bosch 1591 barrel grip. The 1591 is the same basic saw with a top grip. I hardly ever use a Sawzall so I bought a $25 HF version to get me through a demolition job. It is still running 3 years later (noisy and crude, but running).

Bruce Wrenn
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
For jig saw one word - BOSCH. Which model is another thing though. While the 1591 is NICE, the 1587 sells for $40 - $80 used ( good condition) in our area (craigslist, pawn shops, etc.) I own three of the 1587's, fww.

Jason Hallowell
08-04-2009, 1:07 AM
I gotta agree with Glenn on both counts. The bosch jigsaw is by far the best one I've ever used. When my nice milwaukee sawz-all was stolen I was short on cash for a replacement, so I went with the HF that was on sale for $20, and it's worked fine for several years now. I planned on getting another milwaukee when I had the $, but I haven't seen the need to.

Jerome Hanby
08-04-2009, 9:05 AM
I've got a Milwaukee Jigsaw. It's much better than what it replaced (crappy orange HF model and a 18v B&D). I suspect the Bosch is better yet and one of these days I'm going to find out:D.

I'm no Sawsall expert, but I've got a Dewalt and it does what I expected it to do and seems pretty well built. I've also got an 18v B&D and it works pretty well too, just goes through batteries pretty quick.

Dave Sweeney
08-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Milwaukee for the Sawzall and, just to be contrary, Freud FJ-85 for the jigsaw.

jason lambert
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, Bosch for the jigsaw, I had one loved it. I now have a festool jig saw and I like it more because of it's dustcollection but it is more cash so the bosh is a better value.

Milwaukee for the sawzall unless you want cordless then the dewalt I have both also I use the dewalt cordless 90% of the time, also works really well around the yard for pruning with no cords.