PDA

View Full Version : Sapwood in bowls?

Dan Forman
08-03-2009, 3:41 PM
How many of you leave sapwood in bowls?

I imagine this will be one of those things where sometimes it will be included, and sometimes not, so if this is true for you, when do you and when don't you, and why?

When does it present structural problems, such as more likely to distort or crack than heartwood?

Thanks,

Dan

Kyle Iwamoto
08-03-2009, 5:07 PM
No replies? Well, I use it if there's a contrast between the woods. I'm no pro turner, but I like the contrast it offers. The trick is to balance the wood, get an even distribution.

Bruce McElhaney
08-03-2009, 5:40 PM
Maybe Dan's hair is scaring people away? I also like the contrast of sapwood in bowls and use it whenever possible.

Jim King
08-03-2009, 5:45 PM
In my opinion I love the contrast of sapwood. As I have the privilage of working with very colorful exotics the contrast is very distinct .

I have not had any problems with the sapwood-heartwood in turning , drying or any other manner. End grain turning with heart and sap can give you some spectacular results.

Go for it.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2009, 5:52 PM
I will leave sapwood as I like the contrast especially in walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2009, 5:58 PM
Dan - for me it really has more to do with the size of the wood I have to play with. Most of the time I have sapwood - for the contrast and also because I do not have an option. Personally - I like the contrast.

Jeff Nicol
08-03-2009, 6:04 PM
Dan, I have not really noticed any difference it strength, or much in drying time either. If you leave the bark on the bark will usually dry faster than the wood and will pucker some. The contrast is always a plus, and like Steve said it all depends on the size of the log you have if you are able to turn something with out any sap wood. Have fun and turn it all!!

Jeff

Wayne Leach
08-03-2009, 9:13 PM
Like the rest of the guys, I like the contrast of the heart-sap
I have never found it to be a problem in the finished form.
wayne

Dick Sowa
08-03-2009, 9:39 PM
Rarely do I even think about it. Sapwood is part of the tree, and to turn or cut it away removes some of my turning stock :) I agree with Bernie...walnut is one of those woods that a combination of heartwood and sapwood makes a breathtaking bowl.

http://www.digitalwinners.com/woodworking/bowls/images/1-aP1050177.jpghttp://www.digitalwinners.com/woodworking/bowls/images/1-aP1050176.jpg

Phil Labowski
08-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm so new at this I'm not sure my opinion matters, but I think the contrast almost makes some of them look segmented!

Dan Forman
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the responses. I kind generally like the look too, and as Steve said, in some woods it would be hard to achieve a generous size without it.

Dan

Harvey M. Taylor
08-04-2009, 8:40 AM
Here in Tx. where Mesquite is plentiful, the sapwood is almost a necessity to leave in the bowl. Not necessarily to get a larger size, just to have it identified as Mesquite. Max