PDA

View Full Version : A really tough PAINT or OPAQUE STAIN for MDF furniture?

Tom Burgess
08-03-2009, 3:40 PM
I’m making a pedestal table base from lightweight MDF. I want to paint or stain it a very dark burgundy color, nearly black, hopefully ending up with a semi-gloss / satin surface.

The finish needs to be EXTREMELY DURABLE to fend off damage from shoes, vacuum cleaners, Tonka trucks, etc.

Any recommendations for a PAINT that would fulfill those requirements? Epoxy? Enamel? Nautical? Mythical?

Or is there something I could use to STAIN the MDF, so the color sinks into the surface? And then apply a tough, protective clear coat (satin) over that?

Phil Phelps
08-03-2009, 5:12 PM
You can stain or paint the MDF followed by several coats of poly. Why not cover it with vertical, black laminate?

Scott Holmes
08-03-2009, 5:51 PM
An oil based enamel, will be very durable, no top coat required.

Leo Graywacz
08-03-2009, 6:15 PM
If you are expecting the paint to harden the MDF and protect it from all that abuse
I vote Mythical.

Don't stain, first spray a sealer coat of a post cat conversion varnish, then spray many thinned out coats of the same with a dark dye in it. Put as many coats on as required to get the color you required. Then two final topcoats, thinned slightly.

Tom Burgess
08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
You can stain or paint the MDF followed by several coats of poly. Why not cover it with vertical, black laminate?
Phil ==
The shape doesn't lend itself to applying smooth, flat laminate. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom Burgess
08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
An oil based enamel, will be very durable, no top coat required.
Thanks, Scott. I'll start researching oil-based enamels. I know little (nothing) about epoxy paints. I guess I'll study them along with the enamels to see if one is more durable than the other (and conducive to color mixing and the ability to achieve a satin finish).

Tom Burgess
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I vote Mythical. :D:D:D

...spray a sealer coat of a post cat conversion varnish, then spray many thinned out coats of the same with a dark dye in it. Put as many coats on as required to get the color you required. Then two final topcoats, thinned slightly.
Never heard of "post cat conversion varnish" but I will do some research.

So do the suggested final two topcoats contain no dye? Just clear varnish, thinned?

Thanks

Leo Graywacz
08-04-2009, 4:41 PM
:D:D:D

Never heard of "post cat conversion varnish" but I will do some research.

So do the suggested final two topcoats contain no dye? Just clear varnish, thinned?

Thanks

yes, no dye.