PDA

View Full Version : wipe on poly

bob herr
08-03-2009, 3:36 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but what exactly is wipe on poly? I went to lowes and HD to get some and the person never heard of it. What is the name brand and is it poly or lacquer? I would like to use it on my bottle stoppers. Thanks for the help. Bob

Dave Ogren
08-03-2009, 3:52 PM
Bob,

I had the local Sherwin-Williams ( my local Minwax dealer) check it out for me and I also called the company twice to try and learn more.
Here is the answer.
They will not disclose what the exact ratio but said it was easy with a little experimenting. Just take the normal (brushable) poly with the sheen or finish that you want and dilute it with mineral spirits. The wipe on is a lot thinner (less viscosity) than the brushable kind. That is the only difference. The bonus is by doing it yourself it makes it more cost effective also. Good Luck,

Dave

Thom Sturgill
08-03-2009, 3:58 PM
http://www.minwax.com/products/oil_based_clear_protective_finishes/wipe_on_poly.html

This is what I use when I use poly - I bought it at HD. They also make a water based version (http://www.minwax.com/products/water_based_clear_protective_finishes/water_based_wipe_on_poly.html)

Prashun Patel
08-03-2009, 4:16 PM
It's polyurethane thinned with mineral spirits. You can make yr own by diluting regular poly with 20-40% mineral spirits.

It's not lacquer.

Personally I haven't seen waterbased wipe on polys. I heard that when you thin waterbased finishes too much (more than 10%) you can actually hamper the resins from forming adequately. They also tend to dry quicker than their oil based counterparts, which doesn't make for a nice wiping.

At HD you'll only find Behr or Minwax wipe on polys. At Lowes, you'll find Minwax.

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Bob - probably more info on Poly than you wanted... but I would suggest using DEFT 'brush on' lacquer for your bottle stoppers for a couple of reasons. First - you can apply multiple coats while still on the lathe - building up to a very nice gloss in just a few minutes and second - lacquer is alcohol resistant.

Just something for you to consider.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2009, 5:55 PM
I get it at the local ACE hardware store. They sell Minwax Wipe On Poly in satin or gloss which I like. I wipe it on with a old T-shirt.

Brian Novotny
08-03-2009, 7:16 PM
actually, dealers vary from state to state. Home depot and lowes, in Ca., have reduced the number of products with petroleum to almost 0. I go to Osh.

Dick Sowa
08-03-2009, 9:44 PM
Steve is right about the useage you plan...lacquer is probably a better choice.

I use wipe on poly for nearly all my flat work. I mix about 50/50 poly and mineral spirits. Wipe it on with a rag and it dries quickly...but not as fast as lacquer. The real advantage of wipe on poly, is that I get a lot smoother finish, with little or no sanding. It takes a lot more coats to get the build up, but it's easy and foolproof.

Paul Atkins
08-04-2009, 1:31 PM
This is one of those newly overused 'words' (actually modified) that drives me nuts. Poly-what? Polyethylene, polyurethane, polystyrene, polyunsaturates, polypropylene, polyphase, polywog, polywantacracker? Wipe-on polygon does not work very well. Whew! what a rant, huh? You can wipe on most anything if you work it right and have the right consistency.

Gary Conklin
08-04-2009, 2:29 PM
http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/january08/shinejuice.pdf

Dave Schell
08-04-2009, 3:08 PM
I can't believe anyone working the paint department at Home Depot or Lowes would not know what "wipe-on poly" was. You must have found a seasonal or part-time person. These products have been around for decades under brand names like Min-Wax and Homer Formby. You can see the other posts on what makes them "wipe-on" but generally they are much easier to apply than their brush on brethren.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-04-2009, 3:23 PM
Thanks for that link on the shine juice. I'll have to make me a batch. I guess that would involve buying all the ingredients......

In defense of the usually minimum wage BORG employees. They COULD be knowledgeable and they may NOT carry WOP..... Therefore not know what your are asking about. Try your Ace or other home improvement stores. I seen WOP at our local Wallymart, and it comes in a nice squeeze bottle.... Almost bought it just because of the bottle. I get tired of opening those child (adult) proof cans.

Gary Conklin
08-04-2009, 3:32 PM
Some other great tips too:

http://www.bayouwoodturners.com/capsnotebook.htm

Alan Tolchinsky
08-04-2009, 6:41 PM
Bob - probably more info on Poly than you wanted... but I would suggest using DEFT 'brush on' lacquer for your bottle stoppers for a couple of reasons. First - you can:) apply multiple coats while still on the lathe - building up to a very nice gloss in just a few minutes and second - lacquer is alcohol resistant.

Just something for you to consider.

Steve, Would you mind detailing your technique with Deft. And how do you not pass out from it? :)

Billy Tallant
08-07-2009, 1:20 AM
I buy the wipe on Poly at Walmart. They carry both gloss & satin finish.