PDA

View Full Version : trimming around a round object

brent dodulik
08-03-2009, 3:25 PM
I am installing a hard wood floor and the base of the spiral staircase has 3 round feet, 2 are 3.5 inches and one is 10 inches. Any advice for trimming or finishing these areas? We are thinking wood puddy but I like to make it look nicer than that.

Jamie Buxton
08-03-2009, 3:55 PM
When you saying "trimming", are you talking about cutting the flooring to the curve, or are you talking about curved baseboard?

brent dodulik
08-04-2009, 6:26 AM
curved base board or something to finish the edges

Russ Boyd
08-04-2009, 7:47 AM
If it fits the decor, you can try rope. Yes, I said rope...actual rope laid into the gap you leave. I did a dome house once, which doesn't lend to normal base application, and they used rope. Of course, she had a nautical theme going, so it worked out well and looked good too.

Angie Orfanedes
08-04-2009, 8:59 AM
You can get a millwork shop to make a round base with finished edge for the posts. It can have a cut out center, if that is better for your situation - and it can be cut in half if you need to fit it around an already installed post. Or you can do it yourself with a router with several bits and a circle cutting jig.

Jamie Buxton
08-04-2009, 9:56 AM
I've made curved baseboard with a small radius by turning the part on a lathe. I've made curved baseboard with a larger radius by bent-lamination, using a bending form and a vacuum press. Both work, but are pretty involved.

Jim Rimmer
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I saw Tom Silva do a program on trimming around a round post on a staircase on Ask This Old Hous but I couldn't find it. Try this link and go through the epiodes and maybe you can find it.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/products-and-services/

Stephen Edwards
08-04-2009, 2:00 PM
+1 for the rope. It's a nice touch and a simple fix. It won't cost much for you try it to see if you like it.

brent dodulik
08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I will report back what we decide to do.

Jamie Buxton
08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
There's no reason this trim has to be like baseboard -- that is, be several inches tall. The staircase is separate from the rest of the room, and can have its own trim stuff. So... make this trim only 3/4" tall or so. This is going to allow you to just cut the curves with a sabersaw -- not anything fancy. For a moment, think of a piece of hardwood perhaps 6" square. With a holesaw or a saber saw make a hole 3.5" diameter in the middle. Then cut it in half. Fit the two halves around the round foot. Glue them back together. Done. Or you could use the saber saw to cut the square piece of wood into a circular exterior. Then cut it in half and install it. The bigger foot -- the 10" one -- might take a couple of pieces of wood. But the important point is that you can do this with only a saber saw and some careful layout. There's no need for a lathe or a vacuum press.

Lee Schierer
08-05-2009, 9:57 AM
I would find a friendly wood turner and get a custom made turning to match the other molding in the room. It should be a pretty simple task to make a hollow turning that will fit your stair feet.