PDA

View Full Version : Camera lens

Richard McComas
09-05-2004, 4:09 PM
What's the proper way to clean a camera lens?
What I really want to know is what kind of cloth or tissue can I use that I may find laying around the house so I don't have to drive 20 miles to get regular lens paper.

Ken Garlock
09-05-2004, 5:35 PM
Hi Richard. I have always used the Kodak lens tissue, but if I didn't have any handy I would consider using one of three things: clean linen hankie, fresh newspaper, or kitchen paper towels. Stay away from Kleenex type nose wipes as they have oils in them and will only smear the lens. LOML and I have used the linen hankie for years and years to dry our eye glasses after washing them in good dish detergent, it doesn't seem to scratch the lens.

Michael Perata
09-05-2004, 6:50 PM
Richard

If your lens is an expensive coated lens, visit your local pharmacy and buy some good lens cleaning paper and solution.

Other than that Ken's advice is pretty good.

Brian Hale
09-06-2004, 7:17 AM
Richard,

The First and Most impotrtant step is to make sure there are no dirt particals on the glass. Use a blower brush to remove them. A can of compressed air held about 12" from the glass works also (not too close)

Once the dirt is gone, grab a t-shirt that's been wash several times, loosley wad it a bit, mist the lens with your breath and gently wipe in one direction across the glass. Repeat this a few times in different directions till the center looks clean then make a couple passes in a circular motion.

I never use lens cleaning cloth, tissues or solutions.

Only clean the lens when it effects your images or you see three dimensional stuff on it. Most lens glass these days are coated and the coating will wear off is your fanatical about cleaning.

I own 3 Canon "L" series lens (the big white ones) and each one cost more than the combined price of my 10" Bridgewood cabinet saw and 15" planer and this is the only method i've on them for several years.

Brian :)

Richard McComas
09-06-2004, 2:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. :)