PDA

View Full Version : New Saw Horse

fred west1
08-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I apologize up front if this violates any forum rules. I spend most of my time on the Neanderthal side :D but my work partner and I do quite a bit of built-ins for our clients. It represents about 70% of our business and as we end up doing quite a bit of crown molding and base board work we constantly have sawhorses setup outside the house. It gets to be a pain as we end up normally having to bring a minimum of four sawhorses and it just takes up room. I ran across this product the other day and ordered two of them. One for me and one for my partner. I have no affiliation with this company at all so this strictly based on what I have seen. However, it appears that the guy that designed this was extremely clever and now one sawhorse can be two or even more as long as you going in a straight line as you would with just two. Anyway, my description stinks but here is the link. http://www.festooljunkie.com/blog/fj-current-events/a-very-cool-saw-horsethe-work-horse-at-festool-junkie/ I am expecting mine in on Tuesday and am very much looking forward to setting it up. If this violates any rules please delete the thread or tell me and I will. I just thought it was pretty cool.

Fred

Larry Browning
08-03-2009, 7:15 AM
$69.99 Wow! A little over priced don't ya think? These would be a lot cooler at $19.99 or even $29.99. Well I guess this should be expected from a website with Festool in it's name.

fred west1
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Larry,

My apologies as I should have mentioned the price and just forgot as it was late last night and I was tired. Yes, it cost more than a normal sawhorse but it also does more and at a minimum takes the place of two sawhorses. As for the actual cost, I think that is a personal choice. To me, considering what it does, I am okay with it. I can also understand your position and would not be a bit surprised to see many people falling on both sides.

As to the Festool Junkie, I am a huge Festool fan and own quite a few of their tools almost all of whom I purchased from the Festool Junkie which is why I was notified about the Work Horse. :D :D :D

Fred

Keith Outten
08-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Based on the work you do I would recommend you look at the Rockwell Jawhorse. For on-site work the Jawhorse is almost a necessity these days.

David Epperson
08-03-2009, 2:14 PM
The JawHorse is versatile...but it's not as inexpensive as the Festool...or even two Festools...only slightly less than 3.

Alan Zenreich
08-03-2009, 4:33 PM
To be clear, these are not Festool products.

Mike Cutler
08-03-2009, 4:55 PM
Fred

I like that concept. I've got some remodeling to do soon and those look like big space savers.

Jason Beam
08-03-2009, 5:14 PM
They look alright ... a little thin in the steel department, IMHO. Since you've already bought them, I gather you're sold on 'em.

Personally ... I like these the best:

They fold up into about the space of a 3' long 2x4 and are made of 1/8" thick steel. The adjustable height is also a major plus to me. The only gripe I have with 'em is that adjusting the height is just a LITTLE tedious because you have to loosen wing nuts on carriage bolts in a confined space and big fingers or gloved hands have trouble getting down in there. But, i'll take a little tedium in exchange for such a compact horse. :)

Oh .. they're about $20 at the BORG, too.

fred west1
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Based on the work you do I would recommend you look at the Rockwell Jawhorse. For on-site work the Jawhorse is almost a necessity these days.

Keith,

Thank you for the idea and it is a good one. I have the Triton Superjaws that has been around quite a bit longer than the Rockwell Jawhorse. They appear to be quite similar and I can tell you that I use my Triton all of the time but the new Work Horse handles things that the Superjaws cannot.

Just as a piece of knowledge for you all about me and that is I am a tool nut. However, I am NOT a collector. Every tool I buy I use. :D :D

Fred

Keith Outten
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Fred,

You probably already know how valuable the portable vise can be, that is why I was willing to pay so much more than regular sawhorses cost. I would rather work on the ground than use cheap/rickety sawhorses. I found a set of sawhorses on the ShopBot Forum the other day that were made from steel pipe that were the best I have ever seen. Probably more stout than the average woodworker would want but I do some metal work on occasion so I'm thinking about building a set.

A couple of rules I enforce at my place:
1- Every tool and machine works or it is gone. I don't collect tools either.
2- If it eats and doesn't have a job it can't live in my home.

:)

Jacob Reverb
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
$69.99 Wow! A little over priced don't ya think? These would be a lot cooler at $19.99 or even $29.99. Well I guess this should be expected from a website with Festool in it's name.

If I'm buying something badged with the Festool name, I want to pay at least five grand.

In this economy, I guess it had to happen: The Wal-Martization of Festool. Darn shame.

Don Morris
08-04-2009, 1:14 PM
I have the kind Jason Beam has and use them but they have their downside too. They wobble some even when you spread the legs apart as far as possible. Hard to "lock down tight" into position. You use some sort of wood base and I decided since they're to be used outside I'd use 2 X 6 PT. That's a little heavy, not impossible, but certainly not as light as this new Workhorse I'll bet. I do like the height adjustment feature, I've "needed" that, really "needed" that function a couple times to really be helpful. Someday I'll change the wood to something less heavy. Probably since it works I don't fix it.

fred west1
08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
They look alright ... a little thin in the steel department, IMHO. Since you've already bought them, I gather you're sold on 'em.

Personally ... I like these the best:

They fold up into about the space of a 3' long 2x4 and are made of 1/8" thick steel. The adjustable height is also a major plus to me. The only gripe I have with 'em is that adjusting the height is just a LITTLE tedious because you have to loosen wing nuts on carriage bolts in a confined space and big fingers or gloved hands have trouble getting down in there. But, i'll take a little tedium in exchange for such a compact horse. :)

Oh .. they're about $20 at the BORG, too.

Jason,

I have a couple of the ones that you are speaking about and my gripe with them is the weight and the tedium of adjusting them. These new sawhorses do not have steel as thick as those do but they are not even a little bit flimsy and you only need one. So, because of the weight, easy height adjustment and the fact that one equals two yes, I am very sold on them. The price was my only downside but the flexibility and all of the rest above made it much easier to swallow and once I got one and had it out in the field it is well worth the cost.

Fred

Bob Childress
08-15-2009, 8:17 AM
If I'm buying something badged with the Festool name, I want to pay at least five grand.

In this economy, I guess it had to happen: The Wal-Martization of Festool. Darn shame.

To repeat an earlier post, these are NOT Festool products. Merely being sold by a Festo dealer.

Stuart Lees
08-16-2009, 9:37 AM
Keith,

Thank you for the idea and it is a good one. I have the Triton Superjaws that has been around quite a bit longer than the Rockwell Jawhorse. They appear to be quite similar and I can tell you that I use my Triton all of the time but the new Work Horse handles things that the Superjaws cannot.

Just as a piece of knowledge for you all about me and that is I am a tool nut. However, I am NOT a collector. Every tool I buy I use. :D :D

Fred
Sorry to drop in so late in the conversation (and I know the thread isn't primarily about the JawHorse) - just a point of interest - the engineers who designed the Triton Superjaws were let go by GMC when they took over the company. They then went to work for a new company and designed the JawHorse. So the Rockwell JawHorse can be seen as the latest version of the old Superjaws.

And if you were wondering about patents etc - for some reason GMC didn't maintain the patent on the Superjaws so this was possible.

And fwiw, I have 2 SuperJaws, and one JawHorse in my shed. I'm a bit of a fan!