PDA

View Full Version : MM16 Users I Need Help!!!

Dick Sylvan
08-03-2009, 12:16 AM
When I bought my MM16 about a year ago, I asked here or on the Yahoo users group if others had a problem with the stiffness of the starter button. It seemed very hard to start. I received several replies that it was a stiff starter button, so I didn't worry about it and haven't used it for quite awhile. Tonite, I was getting prepared for my first round of serious resawing with a brand new Lenox Tri-Master blade, but I pressed the starter button and it went all the way back and nothing happened. It doesn't seem to want to pop back out so I think it is toast. What is the deal with this button? I have a Hammer combo and there are no starter buttons like this so it is not an EU safety BS issue. Help!! Sam Blasco, are you out there??

fred west1
08-03-2009, 12:31 AM
When I bought my MM16 about a year ago, I asked here or on the Yahoo users group if others had a problem with the stiffness of the starter button. It seemed very hard to start. I received several replies that it was a stiff starter button, so I didn't worry about it and haven't used it for quite awhile. Tonite, I was getting prepared for my first round of serious resawing with a brand new Lenox Tri-Master blade, but I pressed the starter button and it went all the way back and nothing happened. It doesn't seem to want to pop back out so I think it is toast. What is the deal with this button? I have a Hammer combo and there are no starter buttons like this so it is not an EU safety BS issue. Help!! Sam Blasco, are you out there??

Dick,

I apologize as I cannot help you. All I can say is that I have had my MM16 for about six years and my starter button was never stiff and has never failed. Unfortunately, I do not even know who any of the reps are anymore. The guy that I used left about a year after I got my bandsaw. I have a couple of people that I can call tomorrow and will see if they can help.

Best of luck,

Fred

Eiji Fuller
08-03-2009, 4:05 AM
Fred,

You're useless without all your smilies. :D

Doug Shepard
08-03-2009, 6:34 AM
When I got mine I started having switch problems both electrically and mechanically. MM ended up replacing it for the electrical reasons. But the mechanical issues are something you may be able to fix. Your problem may be something as simple as the switch cover sitting a bit off so that one edge of the button opening is hanging up and not letting the button return. I'd check both the main button and the smaller reset button. There are a number of small springs and latches underneath the cover that may have dust buildup on them that need cleaning a some light spray lubing. I was able to get the mechanical portion of my problem solved, just not the electrical portion.

Frank Townend
08-03-2009, 6:56 AM
... I'd check both the main button and the smaller reset button. There are a number of small springs and latches underneath the cover that may have dust buildup on them that need cleaning a some light spray lubing...

Unplug it first.

Sorry, but I don't want to hear any horror stories.

William Addison
08-03-2009, 8:51 AM
Check the safety switches on the doors and brake. Yesterday my MM16 did the same thing and apparently it was the relay on the footpedal. I pushed it down hard a couple of times and the button started working again. My button is also very stiff but I understand that's just how the newer ones are.

Rant- - Don't expect anything from MM tech support. You usually get a "Leave a Message" recording and sometimes they call you back and sometimes they don't. The one time they did call me back, the tech couldn't speak English well enough to help so I just told him to forget it.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2009, 1:58 PM
Dick,

I went to my shop and played with my MM-16.

I had your symptoms only if one of the doors was open or the foot brake was engaged.

I would expect one of the 3 switches..... one on each door or the one for the foot brake is not being made.