PDA

View Full Version : Three bowls, always works in progress

Eric Sears
08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Here are three bowls that I've done over the past week.

The first one is cherry with an offset walnut cross going through it. It is approx. 5 inches in diameter and about 2 inches tall.

The second one is African Blackwood. I really like this wood, but I had some trouble from where it transitioned from the heartwood to the sapwood. There was some tearout that I just couldn't get rid of. So I sanded it down, finished and buffed and I enjoy it the way it is. It is about 8 inches across and 2 inches tall.

The third one is a piece of spalted ironwood I believe. I broke 5 screws off trying to put a faceplate onto it and had to sharpen multiple times during the turning of it. I put in two grooves, one on the top of the rim and one on the outside. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't now. When I was buffing with the white diamond compound, of course it picked it up and now I'm going to have to go through with some sandpaper by hand and try to clean the groove out. Lesson learned which I what I enjoy. This last one is about 4 inches in diameter and about 2 inches tall.

Everything was sanded down to 600 and had two to three coats of danish oil applied, dried, and then buffed out. I think I still need to get the hang of the beall system, but as with everything, practice will help.

I have a picture tent coming hopefully this week, so I'm hoping I can improve on the picture taking a bit with that.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Eric those are beauties and looks like your buff system worked well. Did you use bowl buffs internally? I finally got some and they work well.

Wayne Leach
08-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Very nice work Eric. All 3 look very well crafted and finished.
Wayne

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Nice work on everything Eric! Really like the spalted Ironwood - very rich color and great grain pattern! Keep turning! You're doing great!

James Roberts
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Very nice work on all three, I really can't pick a favorite. I'm hoping to get a buffing system set up someday when my pile of pennies gets a little higher.

Chris Rae
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Good job! I think the African Blackwood is my favorite. The finish looks good, I'm going to have to get a buffing system set up.