PDA

View Full Version : Makita BDF 452 HW 18v Lithium Ion Drill

David Kreuzberg
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the 18v lithium ion Makita drill, model BDF 452 HW? It's getting good reviews, and I like the idea of a lot of power packed into a smaller, lighter tool with a shorter battery charge time and a battery that doesn't s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y wear down.

Almost too good to be true...

I've seen the drill for $200; fifty more dollars buys an 18v impact driver, and another twenty bucks gets the flashlight.

Any feedback is appreciated.

kreuzie

Ben Martin
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Pick up this months issue of FWW, they ranked cordless 18V drills. The Makita took best value and best overall!

David Kreuzberg
08-03-2009, 9:31 PM
I know; I read it.

Erik Frederiksen
08-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I've had that drill for close to two years I think and I like it a lot. It's a great drill and a very reasonable price.

The only drill I use more right now is the Makita 10.8 volt. Its smaller size and weight are really nice and it's only on occasion that I have to pull out the big gun.

It's funny because when I first got the 18 volt I thought what a compact package. It is still compact for its power, but the 10.8 does over 90% of what I need.

Dave Westover
08-04-2009, 12:57 AM
I have one and like it alot. The 1.4 amp/hr (something like that) batteries dont last as long as the bigger version but with a 15 minute charge time I doubt I will ever outwork it.

Check CPO, thats where i found the best price.

Cliff Addy
08-04-2009, 7:31 AM
Check out the reviews on Amazon, several complaints about wobbly chucks. Recent ones, too. I considered the Makita to replace my Ryobi (all the batteries are dying) but now I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee.