PDA

View Full Version : Love that Walnut!

Kent Cori
09-05-2004, 3:35 PM
Given that Hurricane Frances has caused the workshop to be closed temporarily (a car, a full-size pickup and 8 large mobile tools in a two car garage doesn't leave any room to work :( ), I thought I would post a few pics of the walnut headboard and nightstand I made for my daughter’s 20th birthday.

Both are mission style based loosely on a photo from a furniture catalog. The headboard is Queen size but also accommodates a double bed as it is shown. The nightstand is a two drawer unit with full extension slides. Both are made of walnut bought from Steve Wall lumber. I used almost the entire 100bf walnut bundle special I bought. The finish is two coats of gloss poly/tung oil/BLO mix followed by three coats of thinned semi-gloss poly. All were wiped on.

I always enjoy working with walnut and knowing this will be a new family heirloom really made this a satisfying project. :) :) :) Thanks for looking.

Tom Hintz
09-05-2004, 4:01 PM
Kent,
Great work!
I also love working with walnut, though I have not had the chance to make big things with it yet. The wife has been after me for a bedroom set so maybe I should show her these photos......

Again, nice work!

Todd Burch
09-05-2004, 4:37 PM
Looks nice Kent!!

thomas prevost
09-05-2004, 4:47 PM
neat work!:) Kinda one of those projects that after your long gone, she can say her to children: Your Grandpa made it and it will be yours somdeay."

Tyler Howell
09-05-2004, 5:28 PM
Wow Kent. Sleep Tight.;)

Steve Clardy
09-05-2004, 8:13 PM
Nice. A big THUMBS UP Kent!!!:)

Steve

Dick Parr
09-05-2004, 9:16 PM
Looks great Kent. Love those walnut head boards..