PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection port retrofit...

Mike Cruz
08-02-2009, 9:04 PM
For anyone out there with a machine that didn't come with a dust port (aka cheapo POS like my Central Machinery jointer), I came up with a very easy solution that I thought I would like to share. I haven't figured out how to post pictures with text between the pictures, so I will have to describe it with the pictures following the total description.

Start with a plastic blast gate. Tear it appart (pretty easy). You now actually have two pieces that you can use...although you will only need one. You can throw away the middle sliding piece.

Cut a piece of plywood or sheet metal larger than your opening. Trace a whole in the plywood or metal. Insert and attach one of the blast gate halves in from the inside side of the plywood or metal. Screw it on. Predrill holes for attaching the whole thing to your equipment. I used the existing bolts from my jointer to attach the plywood to the jointer. Attach hose.

Hope this helps anyone that was scratching their head about the best (or at least a) way to do this.