PDA

View Full Version : Black Locust Hollow Form

George Guadiane
08-02-2009, 7:52 PM
This little black locust crotch blank has been sitting around for a couple of years. I roughed out the form 6 months ago (or more) and found it today. I've been away from the lathe for a few weeks and didn't want to get into anything big or precious, so I finished this.
4 1/2 inches high by 3 3/4 inches in diameter
oil sanded to 800 and finished with microcrystaline wax
As Always, All Comments, Critiques and Questions Welcome.

ROY DICK
08-02-2009, 8:51 PM
George,
As always "outstanding".

Roy

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2009, 9:00 PM
Love the shape, George!:)

Gary Conklin
08-02-2009, 9:42 PM
WOW!!! That is great!

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2009, 9:47 PM
George - very nice orientation to the wood - really shows off the grain! I find the small cove in the shoulder/neck to be an interesting variation.

As always - form and finish are top-notch. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Frederick
08-02-2009, 9:53 PM
Wow! It's really nice!
So, it's smaller,,Still precious!
It looks like two different pieces of wood, depending on the view!

Tim Self
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I love the two tone in that one. You sure you didn't glue two different blocks together? Great work.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
George that is a beauty. Really like the grain orientation as it shows it off handsomely.

George the LOML says it is cute.:D Like my cherry HF I just posted.

Wayne Leach
08-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Heck of a nice piece George. The grain seems to be ever changing within the piece and must be outstanding to see up close and personal. Very nice work.
Wayne

George Guadiane
08-03-2009, 9:14 AM
Thanks Everyone!
I like the grain on this one too... I seem to have really good luck in selecting blanks to turn.

Jim Underwood
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice HF George. You're inspiring me to get out and make some of these.

Is the color accurate? I've not seen Black Locust this color, but I have seen Honey Locust this color.:confused:

George Guadiane
08-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Nice HF George. You're inspiring me to get out and make some of these.

Is the color accurate? I've not seen Black Locust this color, but I have seen Honey Locust this color.:confused:
Thanks Jim,
By all means, try some, they're fun...
Color from one computer to the next is outside my control, but you made me look, and even on my screen, the pictures are coming up more pink than yellow, so, NO, I guess the color is not accurate. There is much more of a yellow caste to the wood.
Back to photo classes for me.