PDA

View Full Version : DNA and bowls intended for food

Steve Harder
08-02-2009, 7:10 PM
What are your thoughts on DNA soaking of bowls intended for food usage. I've got some salad bowls promised, I usually do DNA because I find the drying results are somewhat predictable, but are the denaturing chemicals going to find their way into the food?

Curt Fuller
08-02-2009, 8:19 PM
On a scale that runs from being a natural born worrier to being someone that probably should worry more about things like this, I find myself at the latter end of the scale. In all the numerous posts I've read over the years concerning the food safe topic I can't honestly remember anyone ever documenting a case where something in the finishing process of wood caused a problem. Most of the food we eat has been bombarded with so many chemicals and processes before it reaches our table that the miniscule contaminent from DNA or a particular finish doesn't worry me at all. That said, I'm sure someone else will have a completely opposite and legitimate concern and post it. I guess I'm just not one to worry about these kinds of things.

But there is an alternative to DNA. We only use it because it's cheap. You can always stop by your neighborhood liquor store or moonshiner and pick up a couple gallons of the clear stuff.

ROY DICK
08-02-2009, 8:42 PM
Steve it will be fine IMOP.
I am still trying to figuer out Curts post.

Roy

Curt Fuller
08-02-2009, 9:19 PM
Steve it will be fine IMOP.
I am still trying to figuer out Curts post.

Roy

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.......it will be fine IMOP.

The alcohol is what supposedly provides the 'somewhat predictable' results that Steve was looking for. By denaturing the alcohol, or making it unfit for human consumption, it is relatively inexpensive compared to alcohol which has not been denatured and carries the taxes and fees along with the price.

Steve Schlumpf
08-02-2009, 9:49 PM
Steve - just my opinion, but I agree with both Curt and Roy and do not believe you have anything to worry about. What are you going to use as a finish for your salad bowls?

Jeff Nicol
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Denatured alcohol is 90% ethanol that has a 10% additive such as methanol, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, naptha, Isopropyl alchohol or other additves that make it unsafe for consumption. The additives were put in so that it could be used for science (bunson burners) camp fuel etc. and not be taxed as an alchoholic beverage. Some countries require that it be dyed blue or violet so that it can be distinguished from grain alcohol which is clear like most DNA in the USA. So the little bit of additive in the DNA will leave no residue that will be harmful to you. The finish you use will be the most important to the food use.

Good luck and hope this helps,

Jeff

ROY DICK
08-03-2009, 7:59 AM
CURT,
I should have read your post twice. My fault.
Take care.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I have been doing the DNA soaking now for about 3 yrs. Like the others have said and IMHO there is no danger. I have made many salad bowl sets and a lot of bowls, plates, platters, etc. and have had any problems at all. I use a set of plates I have made and bowls all soaked with DNA for a couple of years now maybe 3 or 4 times a week.

It is just like finishes. All finishes today are food safe if cured a minimum of 72 hrs. IMHO I wouldn't worry.

Steve Harder
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM
My prior gut feeling pretty much matches all of your comments. I posted this in several forums and no one totally dissed the DNA. Using common sense and not hurrying the entire drying and finishing process sounds like the plan for me - and I'll continue using DNA.