PDA

View Full Version : My 75 year old "wood newbie" dad and his new wood business

Paul Mayer
08-02-2009, 2:58 PM
I have been inviting my father into my shop for years, and he has resisted because he has never felt that he could succeed at it. Now, at age 75, he finally retired and agreed to give it a try. It was a great opportunity to teach my father something, and to return the favor after all these years of him teaching me about repairing things, and about being a good father and husband.

We started slowly. Shop safety, which tool for what task, etc. We made a few things, and he really got into cutting boards. He likes making them so much, that he has started a business! He now spends a good portion of each week making sawdust, coming up with new designs, and talking to people about his new passion.

I would dare say that he is happier than I have seen him in years. This has been a great way to really reconnect with him, and get past the bi-weekly superficial "what have you been up to" chatter.

check his web site if you would like: http://www.vernswoodgoods.com (http://www.vernswoodgoods.com/)

Just wanted to share. Thanks for reading.

If you have suggestions for other things he might like to make, please let me know...

Paul

Stephen Edwards
08-02-2009, 3:41 PM
This is a great post! I'm happy for both you and your dad. Best wishes to both of you.........

Billy Chambless
08-02-2009, 3:42 PM
Paul,

That's a wonderful thing to see.

Adam Cavaliere
08-02-2009, 7:49 PM
I like what the famous celebrities had to say! :D

Alan Leslie
08-02-2009, 8:30 PM
Your dad has a great web page. Seems he enjoys the internet as much as his new wood hobby.

Bruce Mack
08-02-2009, 8:54 PM
Vern has nice stuff. I share your pleasure.
Bruce

Paul Mayer
08-03-2009, 9:36 AM
Thanks all. This has been an incredible journey so far. Looking forward to more fun as we go...

Paul

Heather Thompson
08-03-2009, 9:56 AM
Paul,

Very nice post, my father is a littler older than your dad and has always worked with his hands, tool and die professionally and woodworking as a hobby. I personally think he would have been happier as a professional furniture maker but that was his choice, today he is dealing with some nasty health issues, the towel has not been throwen in. Congrats to you and your dad.

Heather