PDA

View Full Version : Stabalizing spalted maple chest

Barry Bruner
08-02-2009, 2:30 PM
I made a blanket chest similar to the plans Tommy McDonald has on his forum. I decided to do a test run with some spalted maple I have. My problem is the panels are not spalted and neither will the top be. The wood is not really rotten but it is dry as a sponge. I am afraid, if I do not stabalize the wood it will turn out a big blotchie mess. I want it light enough you can see the spalted wood. I see minwax has a wood hardner or would lacquer do it? Can it be tinted a little darker after it is stabalized? Barry Bruner

Scott Holmes
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Are you wanting to stain the maple?

Barry Bruner
08-03-2009, 6:15 PM
The panels look like they are red maple and the frame work is white. If I could stain it an amber color and get it pretty consistant I would be happy. I am afraid the frame will really soak up the stain and the panels will not take enough to make it look very good. I have never worked with spalted wood and I expect to get different results in different areas. I even considered putting commercial bleach on the panels to get them the color of the frame work. I think a little color would look better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BARRY BRUNER

Scott Holmes
08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
If you are looking for amber try an amber shellac. Dries fast, optically clear if you use the dewaxed, and color fast, it will not yellow or change color on you.

Blond shellac may give you the color you want and you can add TransTint dyes to sneak up on the exact shade you want.

Barry Bruner
08-04-2009, 6:19 PM
I want to thank you for the information. I might try the blond shellac and if that is not what I want it will be a lot easier to make it a little darker than to make it lighter. This is the first time I ever ended up with several colors and more than one texture of wood. I think it will turn out looking super good or super bad. I do not quit know what to expect. Thank you. BARRY BRUNER