PDA

View Full Version : Bosch ROS

Scott Greaves
03-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Here I am with questions about Random Orbital Sanders again!

In asking for opinions on ROS over at the Pond, and now here, I have had a number of recommendations for the Bosch 6" sander (3727 DVS). While visiting some tool stores in Salt Lake City this past week I ran across a store that specializes in Bosch equipment. The guy there said more people have been getting the 5" version (3725 DEVS) due to reliability issues. Looking at the Bosch catalog it appears they are the same machine, with a bigger pad and counterweight on the 6". If this is true, maybe the 5" would be better. What do you think? Any ideas about where to get the best price? TIA

Scott.

John Longwitz
03-23-2003, 6:34 AM
...have never heard of any reliability issues. I searched many sites for reviews before purchase. So far it has worked flawlessly.

Christian Aufreiter
03-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi Scott,

I saw your question on the Pond and thought you are interested in the Festool's.
Did you check them?
I used mine yesterday and really love it.

I think the Bosch is a good tool but IMHO the Festool's are a step above.

Regards,

Christian

John Christiansen
03-23-2003, 12:20 PM
I don't think that I've ever heard of any type of reliability issues with any one kind of Bosch tool. They make pretty good stuff.
The only thing I can add, and others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think stores tend to stock more 5" paper than 6". At least in the little berg I live in, 5" is far more popular.

Howard Norman
03-23-2003, 1:19 PM
I have the 5" Bosch ROS and like it very much. I have never heard of any problems with the 6" Bosch, but the large diameter load would put more stress on the bearings etc.

Howard

Halsey MCCombs
03-23-2003, 2:22 PM
Scott I had a Bosch 5 inch and it worked fine. But I just got a Festool this fall and like it much better.Better DC and a finer pattern. Both are good Halsey

markus shaffer
03-23-2003, 2:30 PM
i've been using the pc 333 for years and have been pretty happy with it. however, i tested the festool sanders at the woodworking show a couple months ago and was pretty much sold on them. if it's within your budget, i'd go with one of the festool sanders. i the only problem i can see is that you have to use their sanding discs for optimal dust collection.

-markus

Christian Aufreiter
03-23-2003, 4:06 PM
Hi Markus,

Festool makes great sandpaper (4 different qualities for different applications), it lasts for a very long time and is available at a reasonable price in my opinion.
Anyway, I think Klingspor offers paper for the Festool's, too.

Regards,

Christian