PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust disposal question

Dick Sylvan
08-02-2009, 2:10 PM
I am milling Spanish Cedar for two large doors. There will be a lot of sawdust/shavings. Can Spanish cedar be used for mulch or anything else. Hate to put it in a landfill.

Bill White
08-02-2009, 4:27 PM
Put it cheesecloth bags (bundles), wrap 'em in some designer cloth, and sell 'em to lil old ladies as drawer (as in chest of) fresheners. :rolleyes:

Greg Hines, MD
08-02-2009, 6:33 PM
Put it cheesecloth bags (bundles), wrap 'em in some designer cloth, and sell 'em to lil old ladies as drawer (as in chest of) fresheners. :rolleyes:

I did this exact thing with the chips/sawdust when I turned some cedar into rolling pins. They were great for family and friends in their closets and drawers.

Doc

Troy Donson
08-02-2009, 6:44 PM
I put a bunch of cedar shavings, saw dust and tiny cut offs in some burlap bags and then stuffed those in some old pillow cases, sewed it shut and gave it to my German Sheppard. She hauls it all over the yard then lays and rolls on it. She carries it to the truck to sit on when we go out for rides, too.

Cedar doggie beds can be kinda expensive, so if you know any dog owners, offer it up to them...

Troy

george wilson
08-02-2009, 7:40 PM
Just be sure to never use walnut chips for horse stalls. It is poison to them.

Dick Strauss
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Maybe mulch for the flowerbeds...?

Cody Colston
08-03-2009, 12:50 AM
I work with Eastern Red Cedar a lot because I have a free source for the trees which I then get rough-sawn at a local sawmill. It's not unusual for me to generate 3 x 35 gallon DC drums of Cedar shavings in a day when jointing and planing the rough lumber.

I had a person who raises chickens take a lot of it and I mulched about 3" deep all the way out to the drip line around my Dogwood trees. It seems to help them during dry summers.

I think the next use will be as a border around the edge of my vegetable garden to control weeds.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
If you use it as a mulch, it leaches nitrogen from the soil, and may be bad for the plants. You'll need to drop some fertilizer under the sawdust.

Matt Schuman
08-03-2009, 3:25 PM
+1, What Kyle said. You might want to compost them first, then use as mulch

Richard Link
08-03-2009, 3:31 PM
One word - "Gerbils."

Don't they just love that stuff?

Brian Jarnell
08-03-2009, 5:25 PM
All my sawdust goes on garden,we have an acre,no dead plants as yet after 5 years.

Michael Wetzel
08-03-2009, 7:30 PM
I throw my sawdust behind my shop. I have white pines that shade the northeast side of the shop and it kills the grass from the lack of sun. If the pine needles don't cover a muddy area, my sawdust will...