PDA

View Full Version : Building a Jack Plane - Pictorial

Derek Cohen
08-02-2009, 1:11 PM
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/BuildingAJackPlane_html_m4a188386.jpg

This pictorial article is now up on my website:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/BuildingAJackPlane.html

It is long, but largely pictures covering just about all.

I hope it proves helpful in building your own.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
08-02-2009, 1:28 PM
Dang, the steel decks on the bridges around here ain't that thick.

If you drop that thing while sharpening, it could break your toe!

jtk

Auguste Gusteau
08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Well done again, Derek.
A very good plane and a very good report too. My compliments.

The only thing that leaves me a little perplexed is the lack of the frontal handle, but in any case you have done a very good work.

Auguste who apologizes for his bad English

David Gendron
08-03-2009, 5:25 PM
Derek, did you make the blade from scrach? If not can you tell us where we can get them?
Thank you, well done!
David

Derek Cohen
08-04-2009, 1:40 AM
Hi David

No, I definitely did not make this D2 blade from scratch. I got it from the Ubeaut forum ... http://www.woodworkforums.com ... about a year ago. We were discussing wear-resistant blades and HSS and D2 were suggested. If you visit the site there are ongong discussions and orders for D2 and HSS blades (this particular D2 is no longer available).

You should have seen us grinding the primary bevels from scratch on these blades ..! It took me about three hours in all :(

Regards from Perth

Derek

Peter Bell
08-04-2009, 7:06 AM
Regarding the blade Derek used I would like to say that I also have a blade in my possession that I suspect came from the same batch that Derek used.

However, unlike Derek the blade I purchased is actually a bit wider than his. Mine is 60mm X 8 mm which is approx 2 3/8'' x 5/16 " I purchased it while the opportunity was there while waiting for a knowledge flash from above which is still to happen.

I have recently purchased David Fink's book Making and mastering Wood Planes which he has signed personally which is a nice touch so I am almost ready to start. Derek's pictorial will be a great help as is Ray Gardiner's back saw pictorial on making back saws.

Peter.

Bob Glenn
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Peter, I have just read your website. Great write up and possibly the most beautiful jack plane I've ever seen. Thanks for the post.

John Schreiber
08-06-2009, 2:03 PM
How does this method of shaping the cheeks to secure the wedge compare with running a metal rod or wood dowel across the cheeks?

Your way certainly looks like it requires more precision. Is it worth the effort?

Derek Cohen
08-07-2009, 2:28 AM
Hi John

The reason I did not use the Krenov method of a cross bar is (1) the bar can get in the way of shavings, and (2) the wedge is now supported all the way along its length, increasing stability and rigidity of the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Peter Bell
08-07-2009, 4:47 AM
Peter, I have just read your website. Great write up and possibly the most beautiful jack plane I've ever seen. Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, the poster name is Derek. I would be an impostor if I claimed it.

I agree beautiful work that would be a delight to try and copy.

Peter

Thomas Kila
08-07-2009, 4:11 PM
In echoing the thoughts and feelings of the many who have viewed your pictorials, I just want to say Mahalo Nui Loa (this is Hawaiian for Thank You Very Much). I am not quite ready to build my own plane just yet, but when I am, I will definitely use your website as a reference.

More importantly, each time I view one of your tutorials I learn something new. And each new tip/trick/technique that I learn bolsters my confidence in woodworking.

Once again, Derek - Mahalo Nui Loa,

Earl

Derek Cohen
08-08-2009, 3:18 AM
Thank you Thomas and all for your kind words. They are very much appreciated.

Just a note that I have added a little info to the article (on finishing the body) - it should have gone in at the start but I simply forgot as there was so much to include.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bryce Adams
08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Derek,

You used a wedge to secure the iron in this jack plane, but on your wooden jointer plane you used a brass cap iron and screw.

Can you comment on the relative merits of each iron holding system? Do you prefer one over the other?

Bryce

Derek Cohen
08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Bryce

The lever cap is definitely easier to use. It allows one to dial in the pressure to either hold the blade securely or just sufficiently to permit fine adjustments. However it is more work to build.

The wedge should not be seen as a soft option - I would say that the Krenov-cross bar is a soft option. A well fitted wedge, as in this jack design, provides superior support for the blade as it registers over a greater area. Since the jack was for rough work, the wedge was my first choice.

Yesterday I completed the plane - there is nothing more to do - by adding set screws on either side to provide additional stability for the blade ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Jack%20Plane%20in%20Mesquite/Setscrew.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jerry Olexa
08-13-2009, 5:06 PM
Nice work, Derek. Thanks for posting....