PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent Lights Wrap Around vs Strip or reflector

Richard Gibson
08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Is there any "real" advantage to using covered "wrap around" style fluorescent light fixtures in your shop compared to using a "Utility" style with a reflector or just a strip style fixture? They cost so much more and I just don't see a big benefit.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Not exactly sure what you mean, but a covered light could be a little safer if things tend to fly off of a lathe or such.

jim

Tom Esh
08-02-2009, 2:03 PM
Aside from the most obvious advantage to the type with a cover or diffuser (protection from breaking and raining glass down upon you if accidentally smacked with a board :D), you may well appreciate the extra glare reduction the diffuser offers, especially with T8 lamps. I have both T8 and T12 open type fixtures and the T8's are quite a bit more glarish just because of their smaller surface area.

Richard Gibson
08-02-2009, 4:17 PM
Tom- that is what I was wondering (about the glare.) If I do go with an open fixture, I plan on putting "safety tubes" on each bulb just in case of breakage.

Don Bullock
08-02-2009, 8:26 PM
Due to our aggressive building code I had two choices, "wrap around" style fluorescent lights or "safety tubes" on each bulb, to pass inspection.. Actually my electrician made the final decision to use the defusers and I'm glad he did. I really like the results.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=99827&thumb=1&d=1225420055

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95520

Rollie Meyers
08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
One disadvantage to "tube guards" is that they yellow, just like cheap wraparounds, one needs to buy quality ones. I like Lithonia Lighting LB series wraps because they are a decent product & replacement diffusers are available "off the shelf".

Jack Lindsey
08-03-2009, 4:13 PM
There are pros and cons to wraps:

Safety: less chance of breaking a lamp by hitting it with a board or flying object.

Dirt build up resulting in reduced light output: Industrial or strip fixtures present two surfaces on which dirt can accumulate; the metal pan or reflector, and the lamp envelope. Wraps have two additional surfaces; the inside and the outside of the plastic. Additionally, the use of slotted reflectors on industrials ot strips with no reflector facilitates air flow over the fixture and lamp surfaces which provides a washing action that keeps surfaces cleaner. A clear disadvantage for the wrap.

Heat trapped in fixture: Fluorescent lamp light output is adversly affected by ambient temperatures in excess of 70 F. Wraps trap heat, which typically produces significantly higher temperatures resulting in less light output. The heat is also transferred to the ballast compartment which can substantially reduce the life of magnetic ballasts.

Inspection of finished surfaces: reflected lamp images in freshly finished surfaces are useful in detecting blemishes or uneven application of the finish. Much easier to detect with bare lamps.

Tube guards have the same disadvantages except the heat transfer to the ballast compartment and, to a lesser degree, inspection of finishes.

Glare: wraps break up the image of bright lamps, particularly T-8's.
Not usually a problem unless you have low ceilings or are working with highly specular surfaces.

If you have concerns about lamp breakage go with the wraps. If breakage isn't a big concern I believe that the disadvantages of wraps far outweigh the advantages.

Richard Gibson
08-03-2009, 5:18 PM
Thank you for your input Jack. I take what you say about lighting in very high regards.

Jack Lindsey
08-04-2009, 3:15 AM
You're welcome, Richard. Hope it helps you make a decision.