PDA

View Full Version : Spoons of Cherry

Mike Minto
08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm not a very good carver, but I do like to make simple things. After cutting a rough blank with my bandsaw, I usually turn the handles of my spoons on my lathe. I then carve and sand to finish. Do any of you who make spoons take the finish off the carving knife, or do you sand, as well? Tried to off-set the handle on the one spoon to make the it raised somewhat; a defect in the end caused me to dynamically redesign. 2 coats of salad bowl finish. BTW, what do you spoonies use to finish yours? Enjoy, comment, whatever! mike

Thomas Knapp
08-03-2009, 9:07 AM
I think that you are on to something Mike. Spoons are fun. I turn and carve , but haven't used both in a spoon yet. I usually carve my spoons when camping. Working out the most pleasing forms is a challenge. I have only done simple spoons and sanded mine. There are some awesome spoon carvers out there. Del Stubs was a very successful wood-turner he quit turning and now is making wonderful carving knives. I'll put in a link to his website. There is a lot of information about spoons there as well as his knives for sale. Have fun and keep at it.
Tom
http://www.pinewoodforge.com/

Mike Minto
08-03-2009, 9:15 AM
thomas, thanks for the comments / info. yes, i know the pinewood forge website, and have one of del's sloyd knives. it has a birch sheath, and is very sharp. nice myrtle burl handle, i believe. he is a class act. mike