PDA

View Full Version : getting ideas from craft shows.....

Dave Sharpe
08-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Ok, so there's a big craft show in town today and SWMBO and I went down to see the doin's. Chatted with a couple of woodworkers and got some ideas for projects to make myself. I'm just a hobbyist, though not averse to selling the occasional knick-knack project. I happened to see a unique (to me at least) shelf unit that seemed pretty easy to make, so I came home, grabbed some scraps and started knocking out a test piece.
My question is whether or not this is considered OK, normal, or expected, or do you think of it as a blatant rip-off of someone else's hard work? How many of us have done similar copying in the past? If you think that such imitation is wrong, how much should be changed to make it unique to your own style? Just curious...

Mike Heidrick
08-01-2009, 9:58 PM
You usually see 10 booths selling the same items. Go for it. Make it your own. If you do not someone else will. No telling where they got it from.

Steven DeMars
08-01-2009, 10:48 PM
If you ever want to see how fast an item you have created can be made in mass quantity . . . bring it to a craft show & I can assure you at least three people will have it the following weekend at every craft show within 300 miles of the show you originally played . . . :)

Steve

We used to do kettle korn at craft shows . . . We always had at least one or two that would go through the line a couple of times to try to figure out how to build a kettle popper . . . They would always start with, "man, thats some kind of kettle" . . . Then you knew you had one . . .

Yes, it's OK to clone it, just improve it . . . design, finish, construction, etc . .

Steve

Kevin Peters
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
As they say, the key to creativity is knowing how to hide your resourses.

Art Bianconi
08-02-2009, 8:51 AM
It's been said that imitation is the best form of flattery. Besides, I seriously doubt you will build it exactly the same. That's no fun.

Somewhere along the way you will add something of you. That's what makes crafts so much fun. . . .the opportunity to express ourselves.

I urge you to have fun and build it. If it's that nice and it gives you satisfaction then go for it.

Art

Russ Boyd
08-02-2009, 8:56 AM
I'm sure if you posted a pic of it here, it would be copied SEVERAL times over. That's no different than looking at pictures online or catalogs for ideas. I even go into furniture stores and get ideas.

Perry Holbrook
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
This is always an interesting topic. We all "borrow" design ideas from life experiences. And as long as it is for personal use, I agree that there is no harm done.

However, there is another side to consider here. As a professional fine crafts artist, we can be pretty testy when it comes to someone ripping us off. After all it is our creation and our livelyhood, and is like copying an authors work and publishing it under your name. You may be interested to know that at almost every fine craft show, there will be someone working the area looking for a new idea to steal for the purpose of having it mass produced over seas. Some have very believable stories about how their interest is purely personal. Many artist have been hurt badly by this practice.

It really can't be stopped comeletely and the best you can do is try to stay one step ahead of the marketplace with your designs so you always have something fresh.

So, I understand your interest in making pieces for your personal use that were inspired by someone else's design, we've all done that. (After all it is perfectly legal, at least it was when I took a few patent law courses, to exactly copy anything that is patented. It just becomes a problem when you profit from it.) But, please put yourself in the other persons place, if you become a little too interested in how something was made.

Perry

Myk Rian
08-02-2009, 10:58 AM
We have 2 nieces that support themselves as artists. When they see their work being duplicated and sold, it is upsetting to them.

Craft shows are something totally different than the shows they go to. Craft shows are just that. Many people go to Art shows to get ideas for their "Crafts". I do, but I don't sell at craft shows.
I do Hobby work to make things for family and friends. I have many designs that people say I ought to sell at craft shows. But that is production. Not for me.

There is no reason why you shouldn't copy something, for yourself to use. It's an issue of artists' pride and income when you start selling copies.
By the way, artists don't like people flipping open the cell to take a picture or 3.

Perry Holbrook
08-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, we are very touchy about photos. Some people will be walking around with larger high end looking cameras, they should have a "media" badge. They will introduce themselves and ask for permission to take some shots. Most artist will allow this if everything looks legit.

Others will have camera phones, or smaller digital one. If they sneak around and take shots when the artist is otherwise occupied. If this happens, all artist will demand they stop and will probably report them to show management.

Others will talk with the artist a while, showing strong interest in the product. Then, will ask for permission to take a few shots. Some artist will refuse, others with allow it, depends several factors. I usually allow it.

So it is possible to take photos, just be sure to ask permission first, and if denied, respect their wishes.

Perry