PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Library "The Meaning of Trees"

Brian Novotny
08-01-2009, 9:36 PM
So I picked up this really great book about trees at the library. It has all sorts of scientific (for indentifying) and mythological connotations and lore given to different trees over the span of human existance......This is the only one I knew before is that the Navajo? believe that Cedar keeps evil spirts away. So it tells what woods have what healing powers....if you buy into this......which I do..........here is something about Olive......Olive stood at the foot of the acropolis, next to the temple of Athena. To the ancient Greeks the Olive tree portrayed a meaning of sexuall neutrality and hence the term "Virgin Olive Oil". Muslims, Jews, and Catholics all use this oil for special rituals. Taking all races and religions into account it is a tree of "perfect peace".
I reallly like this stuff and it could really add alot to a conversation over a piece at a craft fair.

This book doesn't have everything, but you guys are welcomed to throw some trees my way....as far as me looking them up.....or I guess you could google.

Anyway....I don't know if everybody here realizes that each and every piece of wood we work with carries , in many cases, multiple meanings and lore going back thousands of years. Wood is more than a pretty color, it has meanings that were passed down for thousands of years......though I wonder how many are still passing this knowledge down.....even the most passionate of wood enthusiasts:confused: I knew about the cedar tree, but from the people I tell that to it seems to be relatively new knowledge, but extremely well received....interesting stuff......and for the "not buying it" crowd, it would be hard to argue that it wouldn't make for an interesting conversation over a piece, knowledge like this is really what the heart of sales is all about. You can make it, but can you really sell it?... and I'm not talking about have you sold things, I'm talking about the art of sales and taking a low chance buyer and making the sale......Any general knowledge adds to the salesmans arsenal....so if you don't believe the stuff or think it's not interesting, alot of your clients might!

William Bachtel
08-02-2009, 7:55 AM
Heres one. Basswood. common name, farmers hate the stuff, it makes the cows go to sleep and they don't eat right, hence less milk production. Put the leaves in your room at night and it may help you to sleep, has to be in the spring. Farmers use to cut the trees down. Grows in groups of two or more close together. Great carving wood.

Brian Novotny
08-02-2009, 8:39 AM
interesting. farmers, who seem to be pretty superstitous, carry alot of things down from generation to generation.....which the farmers almanac fits right into. I was the first generation raised far far from the farm.....but I remember hearing something, and this isn't a joke, "if the cows a@@ is to the wind it's going to rain and it's time to bring in the cattle"

Rowan (Mountain Ash). "In Bohemia, small bundles of rowan twigs were hung outside windows and on the roofs of houses to protect from lightning"

Practical uses:"the hard wood has been used to make spinning wheels, tool handgles, stakes and pegs, dowsing and divining rods"

"But above all, rowan was the sovereign protector of milk, and hence it was always found close to cow sheds"

It sounds to me like the bohemians have a long history of wood turning.....and carving for that matter.