PDA

View Full Version : help with box

David Christopher
08-01-2009, 7:34 PM
I have been looking at the boxes shown here on SMC and got inspired to make one of my own but now I need help...do I need to put some sort of feet or molding or somthing on the bottom or leave as is.....if the answer is feet can someone give me some ideas ( pictures or something) .............thanks in advance

John Keeton
08-01-2009, 8:00 PM
Actually David, I think it looks very nice as is! The maple and cherry?? seem to have a great contrast. The box is deep and wide enough, that IMO it needs to sit flat on the surface. To match my taste, were it to have feet the dimensions would need to be different - perhaps a bit taller proportionately.

I also like the corner splines of varying depth - kind of adds a little interest.

Garth Keel
08-01-2009, 8:21 PM
But as John said, the proportions look good as is. Personally, I like it w/out feet. But the only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

Dana Nurmela
08-02-2009, 4:19 AM
I agree, it looks great as is. Adding feet would throw the proportions off somehow. Consider it complete! Well done.

Ed Sallee
08-02-2009, 4:34 AM
Looks Great, David. I think it looks good as is. The contrasting woods, beveled sides and your spline work - all work well together. I do think that perhaps a beveled lid would have added a little to the overall appearance and would match up nicely with the sides. But, it does look good as is.

Tom Sontag
08-04-2009, 1:06 AM
Consider taking just a little thickness from the lower part of the outside. In other words, bevel the lower quarter just a bit more. Perhaps the same angle as you used on the upper three quarters of the sides, perhaps a little sharper. Either way, this will help the eye conclude its journey over the profile and not make it feel like it was cut off and looking at the top of something that should continue below the countertop. The whole thing is so clean and minimal that adding feet would probably look like the afterthought it is.

Just my opinion...