PDA

View Full Version : Cooling the Shop

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2009, 6:25 PM
Well my Saturday was spent installing a bigger A/C unit. The first one I had (4500 btu) worked well when cooling just the clockshop side as I have about R41 valve in my walls and R 36 in the attic but when I started turning the woodshop side was always hot mainly because of the garage door and it faced south plus it was brown. So you can guess it radiated the heat. Well I took some 1 1/2" styrofoam and insulated the panels. Then today I installed a 10,500 btu unit and it is going to be nice in there. In 25 minutes it had cooled it from 82* down to 73*. I am looking forward to turning without sweat running in my eyes from the headband of my face shield. Thought I would put a little molding around it to make it look nice. Well ok those were my instructions from the LOML to make it look nice.:rolleyes:;):cool::D

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2009, 6:37 PM
As if you didn't have enough to do! Glad to see you got it installed and everything is working the way it should!

Never have to worry about heat in my shop cause it is in the basement and the hottest it gets in the summer is close to 65*. Course it is all a matter of what you get used to and I probably sweat more at 65* than most folks at 100*!

Happy turning Bernie!

Wyatt Holm
08-01-2009, 7:10 PM
I could use one of those on my shop! Remember last winter I asked about heating? Its heated up now.

David Christopher
08-01-2009, 7:43 PM
Bernie, glad you can be comfortable while turning...I finally turned mine on a few days ago because the humidity is so thick here laquer wont dry

Alan Trout
08-01-2009, 8:00 PM
Bernie,

I wish my shop was 82. It has been a hot summer hear if it is 90 in my shop that is a good day. I tend to be lazy this time of year.

By the way congratulations on your AC. I hope next year to put a couple in my shop.

Alan

Kirk Miller
08-01-2009, 8:45 PM
I think 72 is the high temp for us this year...........If you want a cooler shop move up here to Alaska...........There are some trade offs though, and winter is coming fast....LOL

Pete Jordan
08-01-2009, 9:12 PM
Looks very professional!
Enjoy, Buddy.

Richard Madison
08-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Way to go Bernie! I keep the shop about 74, even when it is 100 outside, which it has been a lot lately. Can easily work up a sweat at 74, would much prefer 70, but the electricity budget and the power grid will only stand so much. My shop cat tolerates 90 pretty well and quiet outside, but will choose 74 plus various tool noises inside over 100 outside.

David Walser
08-01-2009, 10:15 PM
When I was in my shop for a very brief moment the other day, it was 110 degrees inside. That was at 10:00 PM. I think I'd be happy with 82 degrees!

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks all. Yep it sure does feel good. I hate it when wearing a face shield and sweat dripping in my eyes. I took after my mother and sweat a lot. I have to make myself drink water to keep hydrated.

Tim Self
08-02-2009, 12:28 AM
As if you didn't have enough to do! Glad to see you got it installed and everything is working the way it should!

Never have to worry about heat in my shop cause it is in the basement and the hottest it gets in the summer is close to 65*. Course it is all a matter of what you get used to and I probably sweat more at 65* than most folks at 100*!

Happy turning Bernie!

High of 65! I wish my basement/shop stayed that cool. 85 isn't that bad and fortunately fans make it bareable.

Terry Gerros
08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Nothing better than a heated and air conditioned shop. When I built mine, I had a Mitsubishi mini-split installed. Extremely quiet and does a great job. Had it at 78 when the outside temperature here in the Willamette Valley hit 107 this past week. If we didn't have a basement we would have slept out in the shop then...a fella has to have his priorities ya know.

Bill Bolen
08-02-2009, 2:33 AM
Congrats on a cool shop Bernie! Just a tip,,,think about additional filtering over the intake. I about killed mine due to sucking in sanding dust. Caught it in time though. I attached some 2" thick foam over the intake so I could see when things were getting thick...Bill..

Steve Mawson
08-02-2009, 8:55 AM
May have to do something like that in the future however July had only two day over 90 here in Lincoln. I think 7th coolest on record. Looks like coming week will be back in 90's and more like summer. I know heat will not be a problem in a few weeks so thinking more about how to keep warm for the winter.

Leo Graywacz
08-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I think 72 is the high temp for us this year...........If you want a cooler shop move up here to Alaska...........There are some trade offs though, and winter is coming fast....LOL

High of 72 sounds real nice, low of -40.....not so nice.....:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks again. Yes this week it is suppose to back near the upper 90's to maybe 100. I just don't do heat as well as I used to. The latter part of July and August generally are sizzlers here.

Bill I put a extra foam filter over the intake on the advice of my local A/C expert here in town.

Dick Strauss
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Bernie,
Congrats on the new AC system. Don't you hate when it also has to meet with the WAF (wife acceptance factor).

Sanding is the worst thing to do in a hot shop. Sanding maple combined with sweat makes me look like a ghost on a Three Stooges set.:eek:

Second coolest July on record here...boy has it been nice!

Scott Hubl
08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Gotta LOVE having a Heated and AC'ed shop!

I'd never go into the garage without either. LOL

I bought my house 17 years ago because the garage was Insulated and natural gas heated, to me that was a huge factor in buying this place back then.

I added a window AC unit a few years ago because I just HATED being out in the heat sweating while doing something out in the shop your supposed to be enjoying.

Now I go out there turn on the AC go sit in the house awhile then go out in the garage and putz around a bit on a project, in complete Comfort.

Congrats on your bigger AC unit !

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks again. Yes Dick I hate the WAF. Oh well guess it goes with the territory. Turned in the shop all day today with 95* outside and 73* inside. Wow that was nice.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh man. Looks good Bernie. You are way ahead of me. I tried this weekend to get my A/C into the window of my shop. Almost made it. Small failure. I measured carefully, just in the wrong spot. So some trimming later I think I am ready to try #2.

Congrats again. I love cool air and hate the heat, maybe I should move to Alaska!, so enjoy a little of it for me while you are at it!

Joshua

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2009, 6:15 PM
Thanks Joshua. Don't ya just hate when you measure three times, cut twice and still to short.:D:cool::rolleyes:

Mike Minto
08-03-2009, 8:31 PM
i have a 5000 btu unit in my 14x10 wood 'hut'. the walls are uninsulated, and i only recently insulated the ceiling. that helped, but i need a 10k unit, too, i think, because the 5k can just about keep up with the virginia heat on a july/august day. still sweating on my work. mike

Roger Alexander
08-03-2009, 8:39 PM
Would you mind sending your wife to IL. ? I feel as if my wife needs some one to chat with on a few things. Nice looking and stay cool in the hot summer and warm in the winter. Roger